Monday, April 21, 2008

definitions

really fast

how quickly one can move upon realizing that the delighted gurgles of joy from one's infant (which you have been smiling at fondly for the last three minutes while you are zoning out doing the dishes, assuming that the children are playing behind the couch as is their wont, but which space unfortunately is invisible to you) result not from the funny faces made by aforesaid infant's older sibling, but the fact that the older sibling has unlocked and opened the front door, run out into the yard, and is then encouraging the infant out of the door and onto the sidewalk.

also, the very speedy infant is four feet down the sidewalk.

also, you live on a corner lot of a fairly busy street.

also, you are going to childproof that lock TODAY.

be still, my racing pulse.

7 comments:

Crapos said...

Funny how they can get away from you so quickly. Right now, I'm waiting for the day that Madoc falls down the stairs.

Katrina said...

Oh man. I'm glad you caught them before they were down the street and had to be brought home by the neighbor or heaven forbid the police! That happened to my mom with Michael and Hilary.

Phil said...

Mom really related to this entry (she even printed it off and re-read it to me over the phone). She says that her children had similar problems, and at one point there were hooks placed 6' high on all the outside doors to prevent us from escaping unattended. I'm glad you caught them quickly!

Emily said...

Eek! Sometimes it's hard to anticipate what needs to be childproofed 'til someone's making an escape. So glad you caught them before it got scary or dangerous.

tricki_nicki said...

That may not be the last time they escape - but I hope for your sake it is!

My two littlest escaped while I was getting the biggest ready for a Halloween party. The neighbor brought them back - so embarrassing!

Kathryn said...

Whoa Scary! That's one way to get the adrenaline pumping.

Aubrey said...

I have to keep all my locks secure becuase Madison thinks its fun to do that too. Luckily she hasn't gotten that far. Good thing you found them when you did.

Related Posts with Thumbnails