Saturday, April 19, 2008

Favorite things party

This morning my friend Andrea and I threw a "favorite things" party (thanks, Melanie, for the great idea!) Fourteen of us ladies got together for a fun morning of talking and eating and exchanging favorite things.

It was so much fun--I have been looking forward to this for several months. The essential idea is that each guest brings five of her favorite things (for instance, I brought five bags of gladiolus bulbs) and then everyone exchanges, so each guest goes home with five of someone else's favorite thing. It was really interesting to learn about everyone's favorite thing!

Some examples of what people brought were a beechwood spoon from France, paring knives, Bath and Body Works soaps, specialty ice creams, organic cleaning agents, Family Fun magazines, a goblet filled with chocolates, a CD of favorite songs, handmade cards, bracelets, and special bread-rising towels (flour sacks). Everyone also brought a favorite snack, so there were tons of goodies to munch on--everything from spinach dip to fruit salsa to chocolate-dipped strawberries. Yummy!

I really wish I'd remembered to break out my camera at the party, but of course, in the excitement, I totally forgot (although we did discuss blogging about it!) I really had fun throwing it and I hope everyone who came had fun too--it was a nice break from the stress of the last few weeks of school, where husbands may not be around very much. A lot of people in our ward are leaving for summer internships or graduating, so Andrea and I tried to plan it at a time when everyone could have a sort of last hurrah before leaving.

And of course, this was the first party I've thrown in the two years since we've left Provo, so one of the neatest things for me was realizing afterwards how blessed I feel to be surrounded by so many great women. It was so fun to have something to plan for and break out the fancy tablecloths and that sort of thing! I like giving parties. :-) Oh, and do you know about www.evite.com? I highly recommend it.

But since no party post is complete with a few pictures, here's a few pre-party ones that I did remember to take:


My two set-up helpers. They work hard to ensure that all table runner tassels are in working order.



Yep, these ones are still attached. Oh look! We can make the punch bowl move! Better put that on the other table, Mommy.




Oh, and here's my favorite favorite things. Can't give these away! (Although some days, I've considered it...just kidding. Mostly. :-)




And last but not least, a shout-out to Neil, who did double duty for me today in helping to get the house ready, slicing mounds of lemons and limes, feeding everyone breakfast while I got ready and baked my treats, and keeping an eye on the kids. Thanks, honey. You're the best.

4 comments:

Kilerkki said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourself with your friends.

Heatherbelle said...

Thanks Rachael for being such a great hostess! It was so fun! I had never heard of a "favorite things" party before this. It was better than Christmas! We should definately do it again!

Meghan said...

rachael, you look really pretty in that picture!! i really like your hair curly...

elise

Jason & Melanie Morales Family said...

So fun! I'm glad it turned out so well- and I agree- these parties are better than Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails