Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I think there are few things more horrible for a mother than a baby who refuses to nurse and simply arches her back away, going absolutely rigid with screaming. We're going on fifteen hours now without food for Jules...I am praying that the doctor can find a reason for this, especially since I, for one, completely dissolve emotionally when I'm holding a baby whose stomach is rumbling audibly but is refusing to eat. And as a nursing mother, you take it more personally, I think, than bottle-feeding...it's like a rejection of you as a mother too, not just the food.

So if you don't see me in the blogosphere for awhile, this is probably why.

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh dear! I hope she starts eating SOON!

danielle said...

She might have an ear infection...if so the sucking can hurt their ears and they sometimes refuse to eat.

Good luck!

Crapos said...

Good luck. I hate it when M won't eat. He just doesn't like to. I was and I am constantly forcing him to eat - both when we were breastfeeding and now that he has bottles.

Joanna said...

Alex did this when he was teething and he was in so much pain. It's hard to watch. I know Juliet will be OK. It could also be an ear infection, like Danielle said.

Kilerkki said...

Oh man, I'm sorry for both of you. I hope you find a solution soon.

tricki_nicki said...

Oh Rachael! I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. My first did the same thing when he was four months old because I didn't have enough milk and he was really hungry. It was a bleak time in my life.

I hope you find out what the problem is soon!

Aubrey said...

Hyrum just went throught that... When nursing he would latch on, and seconds after arch his back and not eat and scream. It turns out that my milk supply was not enough for what he wanted. I couldn't deal with the crying hungry baby either... so I had to put him on formula. I was definitely not ready for that.. and he wasn't either b/c he wouldn't take a bottle, but there was no other choice. Sorry for the long story, I hope you find out what's wrong with Juliet. Hungry crying babies are NO fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails