Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lucky dude...

A couple of evenings ago we were outside pushing the girls on the swings and discussing all the things we needed to do that summer, like...grow grass. Because our "lawn" is mostly dandelions, crabgrass, and clover. It's so bad, in fact, that Neil has speculated that perhaps the previous owners didn't even bother seeding it with grass.

Midway through this discussion, I decided to continue my lifelong hunt for a four-leaf clover. At one point in time, I was so obsessed with finding a four-leaf clover that I not only spent hours crawling around my yard, but I craftily braided stems together, slit holes in leaves, etc. I really wanted one of those elusive little greenies. The odds of finding a four-leaf clover are 1 in every 10,000, so it's been a fruitless search thus far.

Neil remarked that he'd never once bothered to look for one, and I said something snarky like he probably played chess or conjugated Latin verbs at recess while everyone normal was looking for four-leaf clovers. Neil then retorted something about how at least he hadn't wasted his life crawling around on the ground looking at the grass, and then he reached down, snapped off a clover, and said, "Hey, is this what you're looking for?" And then while I gawked in amazement, he said, "Oh look! Another one!" and showed me this:



Sometimes life just isn't fair.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

Haha! That is really funny. I remember searching and finding! four leaf clovers. I thought everyone looked for them at some point in their life. I can't believe Neil never had.

Crapos said...

I can't believe the odds of finding four-leaf clover are so small. I've found several over the years. So sad that Neil just found probably the only two in your yard! The least he could do was save one for you!

Kilerkki said...

I totally remember splicing those stems together. Possibly even tricking you with them. (And how about those clover blossoms we collected as pioneer food?)

Also, you need to show Neil this Youtube video: An Engineer's Guide to Cats

tricki_nicki said...

Maybe those four leaf clovers are indigenous to the part of the country you're living in?

Maybe he IS lucky - but you're cute AND a girl. That's gotten me farther in life than being lucky! ;)

rachel said...

Wow--amazing!

Joanna said...

LOL! Sometimes you find luck when you're not really looking.

Related Posts with Thumbnails