Sunday, July 27, 2008

happy birthday to me


Apparently the two times I ate at Cafe Rio while we were in Utah just weren't enough to satisfy the craving, so we had sweet pork salads for dinner tonight. So. Good. And simple--I put two pork roasts in the crock pot with a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, brown sugar, and water, then went off to church. Then I made some tortillas when we got home while Neil whipped up a cilantro dressing, chopped lettuce and tomatoes, and then I proceeded to eat four of those babies. So good. So, so good.

I've been thinking, now that I've hit the ripe old age of twenty-five, about what I've done with my life so far and where I am. I'm happy to report that overall I'm pretty satisfied. There are definitely things I want to do and areas that I want to improve on, but I'm going on six years of being happily married with two adorable children, I've finished my master's degree, and I'm starting my fifth year of teaching university this fall. I'm blessed with good relationships with family and friends, a knowledge of the gospel, and I have enough leisure time that I can indulge in things I really love to do (like reading and blogging).

Speaking of reading, this is my birthday request from all of you! As we all know, I'm perpetually reading and always searching for something fun and exciting and thought-provoking to read. So please, please, please leave a comment telling me your favorite book, or a book you love to read, or a book you think everyone should read at some point in their lives.

And I'll start you off with a few: Vanity Fair (William Makepeace Thackeray), For Whom the Bell Tolls (Ernest Hemingway), The Shipping News (E. Annie Proulx), Middlemarch (George Eliot), Anna Karenina (Tolstoy), The Hero and the Crown (Robin McKinley), Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell), The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver), The Shell Seekers (Rosamunde Pilcher), and the Anne of Green Gables series (L.M. Montgomery). And I'll stop there before I go on for another hour.
Seriously though, please comment, because I always love to know what people are reading or have read. And I'm always interested to see who's reading my blog!! Plus, it's my birthday--are you really going to deny me on this?

11 comments:

Kritta22 said...

I'm totally not going to deny you anything! Top 5 books
1. The Princess by Lori Wick
2. These Is My Words by Nancy Turner (I know it sounds dumb but it's really good and there's 3 of them!)
3. Phantom of the Opera by gaston leroux (the actual book)
4.Jane Eyre
5. Harry Potter series

So there you are. I love books just as much as you. I hope you have a great day!!

Kayli said...

Happy birthday you old, old woman! I hope it's great! That sounds like a delicious birthday dinner. Can I hire you to make my next birthday dinner?!

Hmmm, a fantastic book suggestion. If you haven't read 'The Prisoner of Zenda' you must. (Although for some reason I think you have?)

And here's one that I haven't read, but think perhaps you would like. It' called 'Fermat's Enigma.' It's about a mathematician but both of my sisters who read it were dazzled by how great it was. In fact, they will soon be reviewing it on their book group blog - http://tjedubook.blogspot.com/
so you can check it out if you'd like and leave some comments too.
(I usually never recommend books I haven't read, but thought I would in this case.)

Meghan said...

I love "To Destroy You is No Loss," the true story of a Cambodian family during the Khmer Rouge regime. It is brutal and shocking, but the resilience of the family is amazing. Sort of a reverse "Heart of Darkness." It makes you think about just what kind of human you want to be--and about how important family becomes when you have lost everything else.

Kritta22 said...

Happy Stinkin Birthday to you!! Go check out my site...RIGHT NOW! GO!!

joanna said...

I wish I could give you some book titles, but I haven't read a good book for a while. It's on my to-do list. But I wanted to tell you Happy Birthday! I saw on Facebook that my Alex was born on your birthday. Neat-o!

Brittanie said...

Rachel,
Happy Birthday! Also, what is your recipe for your cilantro dressing? I have been craving Cafe Rio for the last month and have tried to dressings but to no avail. Help!:)

Megan said...

HAppy birthday! I just finished reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak, and it was AMAZING!!! Read it. You'll love it...I'm sure!

Her Shabbyness: Sweet 'n Southern said...

Happy Birthday!!

Um... books... well, I am not as well read as you, so, as I hang my head shame.... I will try...

Les Miserables--if you can get through it. It's a long one, but, so worth it.
The Great Gatsby is my personal favorite. I've read it ten thousand times and I'm fairly certain that everyone has read it at least at some point, but, I love it. I could re-read it ten thousand more times.

Happy Birthday!!

mama.laughead said...

Happy Birthday. Way to be a quarter of a century.
The Winter of Our Discontent is my favorite Steinbeck. I love Ann Patchett's Bel Canto. The Niagara River by Kay Ryan is a sweet little book of poems. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I'm going to stop myself but first I'll recommend a really weird book that surprised me in some worthwhile ways: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I'm not joking. I think I would love to read this with high school seniors. It was good and definitely weird; so if you feel like going diverse, pick it up.

tricki_nicki said...

I missed it, but happy birthday!! I'm so bummed I didn't get to meet you in Utah. I think you, Katrina and I might have to MAKE an excuse to meet - somewhere in the middle perhaps?

Where The Red Fern Grows has stood through the times as my favorite book. My favortites so far this year: These Is My Words and The Thirteenth Tale.

Elliot&Tracy said...

you have no idea who I am but I would recommend: "The bookseller of Kabul" "Daughter of fortune" and "Blackbird (by Jennifer Lauck)" the last one is a memoir and it is amazing what people can go through in their life. It was a sad but good book. Anyways, those are some recommendations from a random stranger. (I was blog hopping and found your blog)

Related Posts with Thumbnails