Saturday, July 19, 2008

Vacation Part III: Ruth's wedding

Yesterday was Ruth's wedding in the Salt Lake temple. I was so excited to be able to be there for it. If you're unfamiliar with the church, temples require that you be a member in good standing with a valid temple recommend in order to enter the temple. When you turn twelve, you are able to be interviewed for a recommend to perform baptisms for the dead. Later (for men generally as they prepare for mission and women as they prepare for a mission or marriage), you can receive a recommend to perform other ordinances, such as eternal marriage on behalf of those deceased. Living ordinances, such as the marriage sealing, are also performed in the temple (the living ordinance of baptism is performed in a regular meetinghouse and does not require a special temple recommend, but it does require interviews from the bishop, etc.) Here's a link to some FAQ about the temple.

In any case, since I have been previously endowed prior to my sealing to Neil, I was able to witness Ruth and Jordan's sealing (my younger sisters waited outside with my daughters). I cannot even tell you what an incredible experience it was. I think I started crying as I walked in the temple doors. As we sat in the sealing room waiting for Ruth and Jordan, I thought a lot about all the blessings that accrue from being sealed to your spouse. One of the greatest things in my life is to know that my marriage to my husband does not end "when death do us part," but that we are sealed together for eternity. I am so excited for Ruth and Jordan to have that same blessing in their lives. I've found that it really makes a difference in my relationship with my husband and family--because I know that we are together for eternity, I really make an effort to resolve any conflicts and build a strong bond as a family.

One other note: I loved watching Ruth and Jordan as the sealer talked to them about the covenants they were making and the impacts those covenants would have on their lives. They were both glowing with happiness and when the sealer pronounced them husband and wife, Ruth's eyes widened and she looked straight at Jordan and smiled the most enormous, happy, loving smile I have ever seen on her face.

It was absolutely wonderful. I have never seen Ruth either so happy or so beautiful--she absolutely glowed and was transcendent with joy, as I'm sure you'll be able to see in the pictures.

In any case, here are the pictures (all outside the temple, since no cameras are allowed inside, but rest assured that the inside of the temple is every bit as beautiful as the outside).

Here they are exiting the temple annex:





In front of the temple doors with their parents (Ruth's to the left, Jordan's to the right)



Ruth, parents, and sisters







I only got a few pictures at the reception afterwards (we were all pretty tired). I wish I'd taken more, because it was beautiful and the flowers and food were amazing (and I was so tired I didn't even take a picture of my wrist corsage, and I was wearing it, for Pete's sake!) Everything was done in white and green, so there were lilies and freesia everywhere and it smelled divine. And the food was fabulous--my favorite was the gazpacho with shrimp, mango (I think?) and avocado.

Anyway, here's one picture of us at the reception: Elise, Mary Beth, me, and Rosalind. I did take some with Ruth, but I looked really tired so I'm not including those here.




After Ruth and Jordan left for their honeymoon, we moved the party to my Uncle Will's house, and ate steak and bratwurst and wedding cake until it was too dark to see anything. It was delicious. And I came home perfectly exhausted and fell into bed and slept soundly all night, then met one of my closest friends from grad school (who I ran into on campus earlier this week) this morning for breakfast (a three hour breakfast, as it happened) and had a fabulous time. And then this afternoon I am hanging out with my very favorite best roommate/best friend ever, who drove up from Phoenix with her husband. SO EXCITED!

3 comments:

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

wow! it's the pink dress that I love! i need you to give it to me when i weigh 99 lbs ok?

tricki_nicki said...

Hey, how long are you going to be there for? I'm on a jet plane headed for Utah this Wednesday...maybe we could meet up!?

Her Shabbyness: Sweet 'n Southern said...

Ohh that looks like it was just a fantastic day. Her dress is just so classic and beautiful and perfect--man, I'm having a little bit of wedding dress envy ;) hee hee. What a special day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails