Thursday, August 21, 2008

eating with Abigail



Abigail has four food groups: drinks, treats, yuckies, and corn.

I cannot even begin to describe how much she loves corn. Not just any corn: corn on the cob. A few weeks ago I bought sweet corn to make a soup I'd read about in Bon Appetit. Abigail helped me to husk it, then watched in horror as I sliced the corn away from the cob. When dinner was served, she sat staring at her soup, shaking her head in dismay.

So when we next bought corn at the farmer's market, she insisted on carrying the bag. When we got home, she would only agree to relinquish it if "you just cook it just like that, okay? No cutting." I admit, I really felt awful when I realized how traumatized she was by the previous week's corn desecration. So we ate corn that night, then we bought more corn the next day and ate that again. I can sympathize with this, since corn is also my favorite vegetable-that's-really-a-grain.

On Monday evening, we were out painting the fence when one of our neighbors asked us if we liked sweet corn. Abigail practically went mad with joy when he handed us a grocery sack FULL of corn and told us it was from his father-in-law's farm. So the next night we had corn for dinner. When we were clearing the table, we noticed that Abigail had collected all three corn cobs and was busily going over them, nibbling off any stray kernels. So the next night we gave her two cobs of corn all to herself.


She ate them both.


She ate them both fast.

Today for lunch I asked her what she wanted to eat. She responded, "Some of that bread we just made, and some corn, and some cheese, and some peaches, and peppers and tomatoes, and...some corn. She made sure I understood exactly what she wanted.



She ate her corn, and then she got really close and sat there looking at me.


She asked, "Mommy, are you done?"


I responded, "No, I'm still eating."


"Oh. Are you full. Do you want me to eat your corn?"


"No, sweetie...I'm still eating."

"Maybe Daddy can come home and we'll make him some corn and I'll eat his."

She got closer. A lot closer.



So I sighed, looked at my corn, then asked, "Abigail...do you want to finish my corn?"

"YES! Thank you, Mommy."



And all was well in Abigail land.

6 comments:

Kritta22 said...

What a doll!! I'd take her anyday! She could eat all the corn she wanted! I'm so glad it's corn and not cherries or prunes that would hurt her tummy. Corn is great!! Oh that makes me smile!

Elise Decker said...

she is sooooo cute! i love her! and that first picture of you two is so beautiful!

Ruth Decker said...

Only one question--in the picture with the bread and toaster and food and Abigail, what is in the jars in the background...like, blue and orange?? what kind of flour do you use?

Heidi Ashworth said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I have to comment, not on the corn (but, hey, cute!) but on your quote from Elizabeth and Her German Garden--one of my all time faves! I have never "met" anyone who read it other than those I suggested it to. I enjoyed reading your blog!

Rachael said...

Ruth, it's actually lentils and black beans--orange and green lentils. Heidi, welcome! I'm always glad to find fellow book-lovers!

Kathryn said...

I'm with you, I love corn on the cob!! I might have to send my hubby out on a preggo craving tomorrow to get some at the store.

Related Posts with Thumbnails