Tuesday, August 05, 2008

inspiration, i beg of you


I'm having a very blah day today. I was planning to bike to the playground with the girls, but it rained all night and was still raining this morning, so no dice. I drove Neil to campus this morning, since it was still pouring rain, and then decided to redeem the day by going to storytime at the library and using up a gift certificate to a local health food store (dried papaya and flax seeds--I'm looking forward to playing with both!) Then we headed to the library for storytime, but just before we got there, I remembered there's no storytime for the next two weeks...

...so I drove home with my grumpy children, who were irritated that a) they weren't at the playground, as they had been promised last night, and b) they couldn't even go to the library. When we got home it finally stopped raining (go figure) so the grumpies and I went on a walk, which just increased the grumpiness...

...so we came home and I checked my email and then heard Juliet screaming, because Abigail had tied her to a chair with a tape measure. As soon as Abigail came out of time out for that one, she Abigail found a pen and used it to draw all over Juliet's face. Back to time out.

So I'm just having one of those days, where it's miserable and steamy and humid outside, and it's too wet to garden or play in the backyard, and Abigail is crying because I won't say sorry for putting her in time out, and in between telling me, "You are so mean...I don't like you for a mommy, Julesie I don't like Mommy" (which phrase she KNOWS is an automatic time out), she's doing that thing kids sometimes do where they just wander around the house pulling things apart with no apparent plan. Just absent-minded destruction.

And I'm also in a blah need-to-be-inspired rut.

So please, inspire me (the photo at the top of the post). Give me a good recipe idea, or a fun design tip, or a good website, or a project idea, because my creative mind is feeling very blah and withered today. And desolate and down-in-the-dumps, and I need to know that someone is reading my blog (always exciting to have comments, right?) and someone has good ideas and fun and that tomorrow will be a better day.

11 comments:

Meghan said...

Hi sweetie,
You could make papaya flax seed cookies with the girls, though that might not improve their moods. You could pull out a blanket, throw it over the table, and give them crackers to eat in their cave. If you trust Abigail out of sight with Juliet.

Her Shabbyness: Sweet 'n Southern said...

Goodness!! I'm not a mommy, so, I am by far not the best with ideas for little ones, but, yes, even though it's hot and humid and sticky outside, maybe try baking something. Yummy food always makes everyone happy :)

Just know that everyone has "off" days and that it too, will pass :)

Anonymous said...

5 minutes until my meeting and I can squeeze in a quick blog read.

As for inspiration, how does cookies and smoothies sound tonight?

Brittanie said...

The last day we had like that we made a tent with blankets and chairs and then read books inside.

A dance party also helps. Use too many clips in your hair and crazy outfits and put on some jammin music. Reagan LOVES these and it seems to use up some of her grumpy energy. This has been an amazing thing for us and we always end up laughing and having fun. Good Luck!!!!

Sarah Harward said...

I say send them outside anyway! Put on some old stained clothes, and let them make mud pies and get really dirty. Then when they're done, a bubble bath always takes up some time. That's a good 2 hours killed there. 1 for playing outside and 1 for the bath! (It works with my Landon at least, but he doesn't mind getting dirty. Maybe girls are different...)

Also, when I'm having one of those days I let Landon have computer time. He can play PBSkids.org or starfall.com. He LOVES that, plus, since the games he plays are usually somewhat educational, I don't feel too bad about it.

Kritta22 said...

Ohh a dance party would be fun!! Just put on your favorite station and dance around! Love it!!

You could always plan out my weekly chores for me, Ms OCD! I'd LOVE it! Tell me what to do!!

Or make so homemade Oreo's. I'll send you the recipe in a sec!

Kritta22 said...

They are good. They don't taste like Oreo's but still good the same.
I got the recipe out of The Essential Mormon Cookbook.

1 box devil's food cake mix (Betty Crocker brand works particularly well)
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

In a large bowl combine cake mix, the 3/4 cup butter, and eggs. Chill about 10 minutes. roll into small balls. (I had to put it back in the refrigerator when it got sticky) Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes. (Wait until they show little cracks) cool.
To prepare filing, beat cream cheese, the 1/2 cup butter and vanilla together. Add powdered sugar and mix together. Spread filing on top of cookie. The top with another cookie. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving, in the refrigerator. (It hardens the frosting.) Makes about 2 dozen cookies but they go really, really fast!

I hope you enjoy them!

Anonymous said...

Creative minds are never blah, nor plan on others ideas! But I like sarah and taking them out in the rain and then a bubble bath, add silly putty or paint to CREATE pixies and the afternoon is gone. luv u gr/ma

Kayli said...

That sounds like my day. Completely blah. But I'm also pregnant and everyday wishing that today were the day.

Anyway, I have no ideas for you. Just glad to know I'm not the only one.

The Jones Family said...

Hey! I don't know about any advice besides leaving the kids with the hubby tonight and getting out by yourself for a nice little break. Those are always good for me :)

About the vanity. My friend is a great woodworker and he recommended a primer called Bull's Eye 123 which you can apply over things without having to sand. I love it - because I HATE sanding. So that's what I did and have done a couple pieces of furniture now. However if you are staining wood then you have to sand and I have no advice in that department :)

tricki_nicki said...

Hmm, I think the best thing to do when you and your kids are in bad moods is...

Go out for a girls' night! I know it's not creative, but it always helps me!

As for the swimsuit challenge, I think people should wear whatever they would to go swimming in. If that means board shorts - then so be it! I'm pushing myself a little because I REALLY want to have a summer bod next year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails