Thursday, October 30, 2008

back to normal, just in time for halloween

It's always so refreshing when I finish a big chunk of grading--like I can breathe again and start to enjoy life again and be productive. Not that fun things don't happen during grading weeks, or that I don't get things done, but everything seems so gloomy when there's that menacing stack of papers waiting for me at naptime and after the kids are in bed. Yikes.

But since I handed back an ENORMOUS stack yesterday, I was free to enjoy my day today and do all the things that I've been thinking about mournfully for the past few days. And enjoy it we have been doing most whole-heartedly.

We started off with a leisurely breakfast of steel-cut oats mixed with frozen blueberries. While we ate, Abigail narrated the picking of each berry this past August. It got us through about half of breakfast. Then she started to recap Blueberries for Sal. And by the way, if you've never had steel-cut oats, try them! So much better than rolled/old-fashioned oats--flavorful, nutty, and with real texture, not just gooey gluey bland (and I actually like old-fashioned oats, but these are WAY better).



Then the kids got baths, for the first time since Saturday night. I kind of feel bad about that, but they're clean now. Do you like how Abigail's hair is actually straight, not a fluffy aureole?



And then Elise and Eva came over for a couple of hours. It was great! The girls had so much fun together and once again reminded me of how much I can get done when they're happily occupied--I cleaned the 'fridge while they ate their snacks, answered emails when they decided to play in the study, and mopped the kitchen floor while they played nearby in the living room (but guess what, I got to mop it again an hour later when I dropped a 46-oz bottle of V8. And the splashes shot--I am not exaggerating--twenty feet, which I know because that's how far it is across my kitchen from end to end. Not to mention the enormous puddle at the center, and the splashes all over the walls, cabinets and appliances. And me. And the carpet in the hall). Wonderful wonderful. Plus, since they get out almost all the toys, it's a good excuse for me to do my weekly toy overhaul to make sure everything is back where it really belongs, not just where Juliet hid it or Abigail "put it away."



One thing we've been doing a lot this week--Halloween dress rehearsals. I think Abigail is still undecided about her costume (Sleeping Beauty? Snow White? A dancing fairy princess?), but what really strikes me about this picture is how old she looks. Three going on sixteen.



And then while the girls ate lunch I baked some pumpkin muffins for our snack this afternoon. Don't they look tasty? Go here for the recipe. And speaking of recipes, we had these last night--super tasty (especially if [like me] you think ground beef is sort of gross), and especially tasty when served with these.



And best of all, I have plenty of time to just sit and cuddle my babies. Abigail is always willing to snuggle, Juliet has suddenly decided she loves it (she really is awake in this picture). And I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

Elise Decker said...

that last picture is so perfect! juliet looks so happy just be snuggling with you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails