Wednesday, October 01, 2008

oops

so i forgot that vicodin = hydrocodone, which I had for surgery when I was 13 and had a horrible reaction to (as in no pain relief and I was convinced that Saddam Hussein was coming after me. So convinced that I insisted that my mom sit by my bed with a gun).

which means I took one pill this afternoon and spent the next three hours sobbing and even more miserable than I'd been the last week. hallucinations, exponential mounting pain, you name it.

back to the tylenol. and i'm really upset at the fact that we've now spent more than one-fifth the cost of the extraction on prescriptions. none of which seem to be doing much anyway.

5 comments:

Elise Decker said...

i'm telling ya---all i had the whole time was regular ibuprofen (although i think it really only mentally helped me...)

Kilerkki said...

*hugs tight* I am so sorry. (Am I the only one in the family who can take Vicodin without problems?) I'd second Elise's recommendation of Ibuprofen--when I was having back problems, the doctor told me I could take 800 mg every 8 hours, and that helped, so it might work for you. (I also used Ibuprofen when I had my teeth out, after I went off the Vicodin because Mom was scared I would get addicted, and that seemed to be okay, too.)

You might also try icing again, to dull the pain. And if you're having bad reactions to the Vicodin, you might be able to call the pharmacy and get them to take it back? *not sure if this would work, but it's not exactly something you want kicking around the house*

I really, really hope you find a way to manage the pain effectively soon. I'm praying for you.

Rachael said...

Hot socks seem to work best, actually. I did try icing again last night, and that seemed to exacerbate it. And I did call the pharmacy--unfortunately once it leaves, no can do on the taking it back (which makes sense, but still...)

rachel said...

So sorry! Sounds awful. I'm shocked that you're still cooking at all. You're amazing.

tricki_nicki said...

Oh...my...GOODNESS! Where are you visiting teachers? Someone needs to be bringing you food! Good grief. Do I need to fly over there and take care of you? Seriously, I can't believe this whole thing has been such a hassle!

I'm sending you HUGE get well vibes. So sorry sweet girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails