Wednesday, December 17, 2008

gingerbabyman houses

And we're off!



Juliet spent most of the time underneath the table, filling her diaper and eating all the candy that Abigail continually passed down to her. This morning I found a Twizzler glued to her elephant slipper. I am amazed that neither child threw up, considering how rarely they get candy and how much they ate last night.



Neil's house yells to all passersby: "ENGINEER BUILT ME!" I think it's got a helicopter landing pad and an antenna or two.





I went the traditional (and small, since I was kid-wresting) route: some Sour Patch Kids carolers trekking up the path through the drifts of coconut snow.



And Abigail's--oh, how I love this kid. I built her a basic box, and then she told us where to put the icing so she could stick all the candies in herself. I didn't get the best shot of her house, but here is how she described it: "Some kids are playing in the snow outside, and they have lots of lights all around and on their house, and my gingerbread man Santa is coming down the chimney in the house to give them presents! Those silly kids did not go to bed before Santa came. Silly kids." (Santa, in case you're wondering, is the gingerbread thing stuck firmly between the two halves of her roof. Incidentally, he is missing an arm and a leg, which Abigail pronounced "pretty tasty!")



Royal icing (glue-like goodness): 3 egg whites, 6 c. powdered sugar, 1/2 t. cream of tartar--beat together until smooth, then fill a plastic bag (pastry bag if you've got one, but we just used a Ziploc with a hole snipped in one corner) for easy squeezing and less mess.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

That is so neat! All of the houses are so great and creative! I'm going to put this on my "to do" list for when school break begins.

Elise Decker said...

mmm, gingerbread houses!!

Kritta22 said...

I love her little story! Those silly kids!

I'm so glad to know that my hubby isn't the only 'special' one out there. Last year we had a gingerbread house that he thought looked 'ghetto' so he made an antenna out of toothpicks and DOTS to finish off the ghetto-ness! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails