Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last night Juliet pushed Abigail off a chair--and Abigail hit her head really hard. Hard enough that I was instantly worried. Hard enough that I googled "signs of a head injury." Hard enough that when Abigail fell asleep that night, she was lying in my bed held in my arms. Hard enough that I wasn't surprised when the vomiting started later in the night and Neil rushed her to the ER.

I don't really want to blog about how scary and awful last night was, or give a detailed rundown of everything that happened, but I do want to say that I am very grateful for the priesthood. Neil gave her a blessing right before they left, and it gave me so much peace, and it seemed to help Abigail a lot too. I thought a lot about that blessing when we were sitting in the kitchen later that night and Abigail was eating peaches and telling me about her "hospital bracelet" and how much she liked the "sandwich bed" and her "ride through the doughnut" (also known as a CAT scan). When we woke up every two hours during the night to check on Abigail (asleep on a mattress next to our bed), all I could think about was gratitude. Grateful that the CAT scan was clear and that it was "only" a concussion. Grateful that my little daughter was now jumping on hed bed rather than lying so quiet and still in my arms. Grateful for the priesthood, for my family, and for continued health and happiness.

9 comments:

Elise Decker said...

wow, that sounds SO scary...i'm glad she's okay.

Rachel Mae said...

Yikes!! I saw your Google Talk message and was worried. That's so scary. I'm really glad she's okay. (And wow--Juliet must be a strong little thing.)

danielle said...

So glad you are all OK. Scary scary!

Kritta22 said...

Oh I'm so grateful for the priesthood too! I'm soooooo glad she is okay. What an adventure. You are such a great mom.

Mary Beth said...

I'm so glad she's okay, and that Neil could give her a blessing that would give all of you peace.

Crapos said...

Don't you hate those parts of motherhood? Madoc got second-degree burns on his hand last week. It took me longer to get over it than him.

Katrina said...

Oh I'm so glad shes ok!

Kristyn said...

Oh how awful. I'm glad too it was "just" a concusion.

But I also wanted to add a recommendation for a book, if you don't mind: Dinosaur Roar! by the husband and wife team the Sticklands. Maybe my child likes it so much b/c he's a boy, but he already has all the verbs memorized. It's a fantastic book! And is one I have not gotten tired of reading to him.

Kristin said...

Yikes... that one is scary. Head injuries are the worst! Avery fell off of a seat in a dressing room onto the concrete floor, head first... My sister in law was "watching" her, and I was LIVID. I was certain she had a concussion, so we had to watch her that whole night as well.... I'm so glad that everything is okay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails