Monday, December 01, 2008

obligatory post

I admit, our Thanksgiving weekend wasn't quite what any of us had in mind--my mom ended up with the flu, so Dad, Neil, and I ended up cooking the massive dinner (25 guests) on our own (and seriously, that would not have been possible without Rosalind taking over all of the Juliet-and-Abigail entertainment.

I don't think I have ever been so tired in my life--my knees and ankles were aching by Wednesday night from all the running around the kitchen (in addition to making all the pies that day, I also made dinner--corn and potato chowder--that night because Mom wasn't feeling well then either). The dinner came off well, I think, although I pretty much collapsed when everyone left, but it was fun and I think everyone had a good time. Then I spent most of the day Friday recuperating from all the cooking and trying to fight off my own sickness, and being really grateful that Mom and Dad were making my favorite salad while I slept on the couch...then I revived enough to make dinner on Saturday night, which was really nice because my grandparents came over too! (cumin and lime-roasted pork tenderloin with spicy creamy corn and French baguettes, plus the cranberry pecan pinwheels and gingerbread cookies that Dad and Abigail made earlier in the day)...and then I spent Sunday lying around sleeping too--church was sort of a haze of exhaustion. Mom ended up staying home from church (still sick), and when we got home at 5 (their ward meets at two) there were hot potato pancakes, my favorite cheeses, fresh bread, and Italian sausages waiting for us. It was a very nice end to a very gloomy and tired day.

We drove home today and I spent most of the day on the couch feeling awful. And now it's 6:30 and I am going to bed. I cannot stand to eat anything right now other than toast, so I hope that passes soon.

So to make a long story short, here was my weekend: Family. Talking. Sleep. Sick. Cooking. Tired. Family. Family good, sickness bad.

It was really good to see my family, but I sure hope we're all feeling better at Christmas!

2 comments:

Elise Decker said...

at least you had some delicious food!! I'm jealous....but I hope you feel better! and i hope to see some pictures soon!

Mary Beth said...

Elise and I are hanging out in the library looking at her Banff pictures and we were SO excited to see your post. And then sad that your break wasn't more fun. *hugs* I hope you rest up and that Christmas is a lot better for everyone!

(P.S. What do you and Neil and the girls want for Christmas?)

Related Posts with Thumbnails