Wednesday, December 10, 2008

over and over

One of the first things any parenting guide will tell you about babies and toddlers is that they love reading the same book over...and over...and over again. In Juliet's case, she just flips the book open again after she yells "dee enn!"

I love reading to my girls--I really do. Mostly because I've taken care to stock our shelves with books that I like (think Blueberries for Sal or Miss Rumphius). It's a little more difficult to do this with baby books, however (which I translate to mean board books, since they're the only ones that survive) because you have to really like the book and there have to be lots of interesting things to look at, since you will spend a LOT of time with those same books. Plus, you're generally looking for books that allow for more than just reading--you want to look at the pictures, point at different objects, make noises--all those little things that add up to lots of learning for your baby.

So here are three of our favorites--and I'd LOVE to hear yours!!

**Image from Amazon.com

Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown. This is the very first children's book I bought, mostly because I remember loving it as a kid. I like it mostly because it has lots of pictures of animals, which means you can work on practicing animal noises and recognition. The illustrations are great and the story is sweet and has a rhyme scheme that's not irritating. This is Juliet's current bedtime favorite.


**Image from Amazon.com

Baby Food by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers. This book is SO cool! As you can see from the cover, it features animals again--but this time they're made out of food. My kids love yelling the name of the animal and the particular fruit or vegetable (my favorite is the eggplant whale). Plus...you've gotta make the noises. :-) This really is an enchanting book--so fun and whimsical.


**Image from Amazon.com

Mommy Loves Me by Karen Moore. A sweet rhyming story (very easy to memorize, which means you can read it with your eyes closed if you're tired like me) that takes you through a baby's day (as shown by a family of bears). The illustrations are very clear, which means this is a great book for practicing basic recognition of familiar household objects, furniture, food, clothes, etc. And it's nice to have all of these things worked in to the story rather than just having a book that has picture blocks and no story.

3 comments:

Nate and Nicole said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm always looking for good baby (board) books for Will... mainly because I get sick of reading the same ones over and over :)!

Kritta22 said...

Connor's favorite is a nursery story book. thank goodness it has like 100 stories in it and he hasn't figured out that the pages rip. When he does, I hope, if it's gonna happen, that he rips the mouse guy one with the flute. It's just gross.

Crapos said...

We like Goodnight Moon, The Grouchy Ladybug and Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? by Dr. Seuss in the board book category. Oh, and my kids always like the touch-and-feel ones.

Related Posts with Thumbnails