Thursday, January 29, 2009

and thus we see...

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. --Mosiah 2:17

During Family Home Evening this week, we focused on Mosiah 2. We used some little toy people to act out King Benjamin's discourse to his people, and then as a family we repeated verse 17 (over and over and over again) and talked about different ways of serving people in our family (my personal favorite: Abigail suggested, "we can help Daddy do his research!" Would that we all could indeed. Love that kid).

So apparently the lesson sunk in, if not quite in the way we'd anticipated. I think we forgot to account for four-year-old reasoning, because last night Abigail and Neil had this conversation:

Abigail (wanting a mermaid doll Neil is examining intently to figure out at exactly what water temperature it changes color): Daddy, can I have that doll?

Neil: Um...just a second...I'm looking at something...

Abigail waits about two seconds, making a variety of faces.

Abigail: Daaaadddddyyyy...

Neil: Hold on, I'm almost done.

Abigail: Daddy, King Benjamin said to serve your fellow beans. You need to give me that doll, or you will not be serving me, and if you are not serving your fellow beans, you aren't serving Jesus and Heavenly Father. Do you want to be doing that, Daddy?

So there you have it. Scripture interpretation in action, à la Miss Abigail. Better start serving your fellow beans!

4 comments:

Elise Decker said...

i love posts like this!

Kritta22 said...

LOL My hubby and I are cracking up!!

Aubrey said...

that is just great!! :)

Kristin said...

How funny....

Matthew runs during his lunch hour, I go to the gym in the mornings, and then at night we do the push ups, pull ups, sit ups, etc.

He hasn't taken up the swimming yet, because he's not a member of the gym that I go to, but starting in May he wants to swim in our community pool... we'll see how long that lasts!

AND... Yes, I did read your blog entry that you were pregnant, but I read it late because we were out of town and there were already like 25 comments, so I figured you probably wouldn't read it! I'm so jealous! I wish we had gotten pregnant last month, but we didn't really try. So, maybe this month??!!??

Related Posts with Thumbnails