Monday, January 26, 2009

just the two of us


Neil and I a week or so after our engagement--climbing into the fountain seemed like such a good photo backdrop at the time. It wasn't--it was just really cold.

In another month or so, we've got an overnight kid-swap planned with some friends of ours. While we were working out all the details, I realized that this will be the first time that we've ever been away from our kids overnight. Translation: it's been almost four years since we did anything crazy like, oh, I don't know--left the house after dark?

Deciding what we'll do has been a little baffling, to be honest. I suppose my mind hasn't quite wrapped itself around the idea of twenty-four hours without Goldfish crackers and diaper wipes (and also, I end up missing my kids like crazy after three hours on date night, so twenty-four could be interesting...). But rest assured, I'm looking forward to an entire day of having my husband all to myself and doing whatever we want to do, whether it's a little Chicago getaway, hitting up our favorite Mexican restaurant in Indianapolis, or just filling the hours with we-can't-do-it-with-the-kids activities (like sleeping in, or going to see a late-night movie, a loooong run through the woods, or heck, just eating spicy food).


Which leads me to my question of the day for you: what would you choose to do, given twenty-four hours off from your regular life? How would you spend that day?

6 comments:

Crapos said...

At first I thought I'd go to the temple and spend the day shopping and eating without kids. But then I realized I'll pay for a baby-sitter to do that. A free 24-hours would have to be spent at home, because honestly, when are you ever at home without kids? I'd go to dinner and a late movie, then sleep in until 10am like we used to do before we had kids.

Kritta22 said...

I'm sure that Chris and I wouldn't be able to sleep in soo I think we would probably go to a hotel with a spa or just a hot tub, and hang out there. Maybe order romm service if our budget allowed. There's something different about sleeping in a hotel that makes you sleep in!!

Kritta22 said...

That's so great you are getting to do this by the way! What great frineds you have!

Melissa Tate said...

Do something silly. Spend time at a indoor track and have relay races, do a scavenger hunt, anything to make you laugh together. Then get a hotel room, be romantic, and SLEEP IN!! :)

Elise Decker said...

Go to Moab!!!! oh wait....i already tried that.....but i'd go somewhere, but then again, i can usually sleep in or stay up late if i want too....so i'm probably not a good person for advice...do something fun!

Heatherbelle said...

I don't know if you want to spend this much, but we went to this awesome bed and breakfast this past August. It's about an hour and a half away in Valparaiso. We went to Wicked then stayed the night at Songbird Prairie B and B, but if we did it again I would love to just go and hang out in the parlor reading or listen to the birds singing at the feeders (which they "mike" into the breakfast room). Here is the website if you are interested! :)
http://songbirdprairie.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails