Monday, February 02, 2009

the fine art of escape


This afternoon when I turned off the treadmill, I heard a whump whump whump sound coming from the other side of the house. Then I heard Juliet singing loudly in her crib (nap? what nap?). The chortling and whumping continued, so I peeked in to check for wall damage.

Guess what I found--another mini Houdini!

Neil and I used to chuckle about Abigail's ability to undress herself before she had actually mastered the use of her limbs. My personal favorite: the time we found a five-week-old Abigail naked (except for her diaper) at the top of her crib, while eighteen inches away was her beswaddled nightgown, still wrapped up securely in its cocoon of blankets with the arms folded neatly across the chest. Under the blankets.

Explain that one to me.

So today this is how I found Juliet--sweater unsnapped, onesie hanging loosely, one elephant slipper halfway across the room, one sock on the floor. And get this--her pants were off but the other slipper was still on. How, I ask you? How? Those are some fat little elephants. And apparently one very determined little Juliet.

I thought about taking a picture, but then I thought that was giving in a little too much to the blog-mind, so I just put her clothes back on and kissed her good-night again. But since the chortling has turned to crying, I think naptime is officially over for the day (seeing as how it began two hours ago. Shucks).

Moments like this, oddly enough, really make me relish being a stay-at-home mother. Would a nanny bother to tell me "your child took off her pants, but not her slipper?" Probably not, because really, it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. But in stay-at-home mommyland, it made me laugh and kiss those adorable little Juliet cheeks, grateful that I was there to tuck those chubby legs back into their fuzzy pants. And chuckling over the fact that I have yet another child who will require surreptitious checking in the wee hours of the night in order to insert wayward arms back into sleeves, tuck round little tummies back under their nightgowns, and give a final smoothe to sleep-tousled hair.

6 comments:

Rachel Mae said...

Wow--are you kidding me? I'm especially amazed by Abigail's feat. Love the writing in your last par.

Katrina said...

I am in utter amazement at the Abigail story. How on earth?

Elise Decker said...

your last few sentences makes me want to snuggle with them and hug them very tightly! and i like how you describe Juliet's "chortling and whumping"

Crapos said...

I love those little bright spots throughout the day.

Kritta22 said...

What a superstar!!

Oh how I love being a stay at home mom too! I snuggled on the couch all day with my little man. We weren't feeling 100% so it was cartoon day. I just love those!

Emily Anne said...

the abigail story left me slack-jawed.
and i completely share your sentiments about stay-at-home-motherhood -- it is such a blessing to be privy to all the small moments that aren't small at all.

like always, love your musings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails