Thursday, February 19, 2009

moderation in all things


Today we took a break.

A real, honest-to-goodness rest day. Due to decorating for the dinner theater, both Abigail's preschool and my aerobics classes were cancelled, which meant that for the first time this semester, we had a day where nobody was supposed to be somewhere.

Can I just tell you how divine it was to still be in bed at 8 am, cuddled up next to a fluffy-headed little Abigail, drowsily listening to Juliet's morning songs coming over the monitor? And how lovely it was to have a leisurely breakfast with the girls, and to take half an hour to clean up after breakfast, and spend the morning doing nothing more arduous than reading lots of stories, a brisk and rejuvenating walk, a bit of vacuuming, and mixing up **granola bars? Oh, it's nice to have days like these--while I love having exciting things to do and fun places to go, it's always lovely to have a day where you have nothing to do but play and have fun. I go crazy being home all day every day, but today it's sure been a nice break from the rest of this jam-packed week.
Cute Abigail story of the day: Yesterday the bagger at the grocery store gave her the standard roll of stickers. As is her wont, she immediately stuck one on herself, one on Jules, put one carefully in the pocket of her coat to give to Neil (you better believe that was on his sleeve within sixty seconds of his entry through the door last night), and the last? She very carefully stuck it on my stomach, patted it gently, and said, "There, Mommy...I gave that sticker to the baby."

I love how she wants to say hello to the baby every morning, kisses my stomach occasionally throughout the day, is vigilant about reminding me not to pick her up ("I'm too heavy, Mommy! You might kill the baby! I can do it myself!"), and always reminds Jules to be very careful when she's sitting on my lap. I'm so thrilled that she's as excited for this baby as her parents are, and she sees it as a welcome addition to her little family (although she did specify last night that she would like a girl, because "we have enough daddies and I would like it to grow up and be a mommy because we always need lots of mommies.")

**The granola bars were super-tasty, especially if you like peanut butter, which my girls do. I found that I needed to bake them for about 10 minutes longer than the recipe suggested, perhaps because I'm in a more humid climate. Most of the ingredients are ones that I had on hand, but I did end up leaving out the lemon zest, substituting blenderized oats for the oat bran, and switching out a heaping 1/2 c. of sugar plus 1/8 c. milk for the honey, since my honey is just about gone and I didn't have quite enough.

1 comment:

Kritta22 said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe how much she has grown up in the little bit that Ive been reading your blog! Abi is so wonderful!

How are you feeling with all your running around? I bet you are asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails