Friday, February 06, 2009

the nonbeliever

Yesterday afternoon the girls and I took a little ride on a star-spangled magic carpet in our living room (my solution to being worn out from a lot of interpretive dance to Vivaldi's Four Seasons--we were all supposed to be fairies, and I think kids come with little rocket packs. Little tutu-bedecked rocket packs).

So I'm describing--in great detail, and really getting into it--all the things I see zooming by beneath us (like a flame-breathing dragon, pink and purple birds--standard imaginative fare), and then a frowning Abigail told me it was night and we couldn't see anymore. I think she was worried that I was starting to veer a little close to the Cliff of Lies, since we've really been emphasizing honesty lately ("must save Mommy from herself! there are obviously no fuschia dragons about!").

So I asked her what she saw in the sky, and she said nothing, and I said, "What about those twinkly lights up there? Tilt your head back, do you see them now? For pretend?"

And so she leaned back, squinted, then looked at me and said, "I don't know...they kind of just look like pictures [on the wall] to me."

If the kid winds up a skeptic, don't blame me...I tried.

2 comments:

Crapos said...

You're such a good mom.

Natalee said...

I've missed reading your blog!! you are awesome! I was thinking about all our fun adventures and only regret we didn't hang out more! I hope you are doing well and being prego is going well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails