Thursday, February 05, 2009

thankful Thursday

Things that are making me smile today:
  • A lovely interlude with Jules at the downtown library this morning
  • Scheduling my ultrasound (3 weeks away!) and being told I was "slender" by the doctor--I don't think there's any nicer compliment you can pay to a pregnant woman!
  • Stopping off at the health food store and placing a bulk order to restock pantry goodies: brown rice, steel-cut oats, and dried pineapple and papaya
  • A family trip to the symphony tomorrow night (free kid-centered performance!)
  • Explaining to Abigail how an ultrasound works (in terms of bats and dolphins, since she knows about echolocation) over our delicious breakfast of crunchy homemade granola
  • Taxes are done!
  • Abigail made a puppet today and named it "Mommy," and told me the puppet brown hair and brown eyes, so it would look like me. I was really touched by that.
  • Yesterday in general: I was so not looking forward to it that I was grumpy all day Tuesday, but it turned out so well. I graded 19 sets of employment documents (halfway done! hurrah!!), taught two classes, had rehearsal for 2.5 hours, and still managed to do the things I really WANTED to do: playtime and lots of stories with the girls, all the housecleaning and meals, and even squeezed in a rejuvenating 3-mile walk. It was a serious answer to prayers (more like pleas) along the lines of "please help me do it all today." And fueled by lots of apples and plums.
  • My first real quilting class tonight--I am SO in love with the pile of happy bright fabrics on my sewing table and I can't wait to get started!!! I have one class a month for the next year and I am really super excited for it. I love making pretty things.

What are you thankful for today?

7 comments:

Crapos said...

I'm so jealous about the quilting class. I've tried to get into one but we live in the middle of nowhere and the local shop only offers classes during the day because they cater to retirees. Oh well. But today I'm thankful that people actually showed up to playgroup, that the temp is a beautiful 80 degrees, and there is NOTHING I HAVE to do today, so even though I'm going to mop the floor, I'm doing it because I want to and that makes me very happy.

Rachael said...

Ashley, the class is actually an Enrichment group our ward is doing! So maybe you can get something going there too!!

Rebecca Jensen said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that lately I've been reading your blog a lot. I've been reading a lot of Virgina Woolf and Debra Lessing for English classes lately and they're all so negative about motherhood that I try to balance it out with reading things that put being a stay-at-home mom in a better light intellectually and emotionally.

Becca

P.S. I'm Ruth's old roommate in case you're wondering how on earth this random person found your blog.

Katrina said...

Today I'm grateful for a happy baby who has been taking nice long naps.

That I got to hold my friends 2 day old baby.

That I'm getting a free pack'n'play thanks to freecycle.

That I finally got my living room clean and am about to clean the kitchen.
...
I'm excited to find out what you are having! I've totally been thinking of your baby as a boy and then remember that you don't know yet. I hope I'm right!

Mary Beth said...

I got free pizza for lunch today!

I really enjoy my Contracts class.

I got all my reading done yesterday, so I can stay in the library until midnight working on my brief.

Spring break starts a week from tomorrow afternoon!

lanada said...

That David has kept the kitchen almost spotless for almost a week now.

That tomorrow I'm watching a movie with my kids...and it will be FRIDAY!

That I can eat dairy.

That I don't have to worry about dating problems. (Got a call from my sister a minute ago. Poor kid.)

That promises are not broken.

danielle said...

Wow...thank you so much for all of your food suggestions! I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in.

I meant to comment on this yesterday, but I didn't get a chance. I don't know how you do it all!! You are so busy. I am amazed at your energy and efficiency. Seriously...I am tired just reading about everything you do.

I think your quilting class sounds so fun. I have only made one quilt and I don't really know what I am doing (as in most things I do). I think it would be so fun to take an actual class. Can't wait to see what you do.

I am thankful that I get to stay home and have so much freedom in terms of how I spend my time. I really do feel lucky for that. I know it won't always be this way, but I try to remember whenever I am tired or bored (I don't really get bored often), that I can pretty much do what ever I want, and that my poor husband has to be at work. I am thankful for him!

Related Posts with Thumbnails