Wednesday, March 11, 2009

denial


my twenty-fourth birthday, just before Jules was born. you'd think I'd be excited about wearing my favorite pink shirt again.

I have a real hang-up about when I first start to wear maternity clothes. For some reason, when I was pregnant with Abigail I created the magic number of 25 weeks as the day when I can switch over. I have no idea why, but in my mind the idea of beginning to wear maternity clothes before this day means I'm somehow giving in to some unidentified thing. I don't mind at all if friends start wearing maternity clothes the day they find out they're pregnant--I think nothing of it--but I can't make the same concession for myself. It's not that I don't like being pregnant, because there are many things I love about it (chiefly not having to suck in my stomach at the pool all summer).

So today I finally moved my maternity clothes into my closet. They've been sitting in a box underneath my sewing table for the last three weeks while I got used to the idea of wearing them again. I even wore a maternity shirt two or three times (this is okay in my mind, just not full-fledged everyday wear). I figure it will take me another few weeks to warm up to the idea of maternity clothes again, so looking at them more often will help (plus maybe some of the wrinkles will hang out and I won't have to do as much ironing).

I also grudgingly packed up my size 6 clothes today, which is overdue by oh, about ten weeks. Guess what? I don't even own a pair of maternity jeans. (I did buy my first-ever pair of jean capris when I was pregnant with Juliet).

So here's what I'm wondering now--do I have this weird neurosis because I'm trying to make my pregnancy feel shorter (i.e. if I only wear these clothes for 15 weeks, does that mean that I won't feel like it's dragging on forever?) Is it because I think I'm still fooling people into thinking I'm not expecting (because um, I definitely look pregnant, and probably more so than if I was wearing clothes that actually fit instead of bulky ski sweaters). And why do I resist wearing my admittedly newer and more attractive pregnancy wardrobe?

If you've ever been pregnant, are you one of the embrace-it-wear-maternity-clothes-ASAP types, or are you hanging out with me in the realms of unexplicable defiance?

12 comments:

Erica said...

Oh I am right there with you!!! Defiance all the way! The 20 week mark is wear I let myself start to make the switch. I don't completely give in to ALL maternity clothes but once I reach the 20 week mark the maternity clothes start sneaking their way into my everyday wear until slowly but surely they are a permanent fixture in my attire.

I'm glad to hear someone else is just like me! I'm just hoping I can keep it up with all my pregnancies :)

The Armstrong Article said...

I'm an embracer of maternity wear as soon as possible... mostly. I put on a cute shirt as soon as I had any sort of belly, which seemed quite early this time around. As for pants, I wore my regular jeans as long as I could, going so far as to put a hair elastic on the button when I couldn't get them together anymore. I did that only because I think my regular jeans are cuter and fit better everywhere but the belly. But being 29 weeks now, I'm in full on maternity wear all the time.
Actually, no, most of my regular tops stretch, so while it may look like maternity, it's actually my usual.
You're tiny though... so you probably hardly look pregnant at all. Lucky girl!

Rachael said...

wow--I think that's the first time in my life anyone has ever called me tiny! thanks, though it really isn't true. :-)

Rachel Mae said...

I was mixed. I bought a pair of nicer maternity pants that I could teach (but also lounge in, they were very versitile) really early on. Putting them on was heaven! I could still fit into my other pants, but I hadn't realized how uncomfortable they were getting. Plus, I was just excited to be pregnant and wanted to start showing.

But then I only bought one more pair pretty late in the game. Other than that, I wore jeans a size bigger than normal with a hair elastic and long shirts and sweaters that weren't officially maternity (since long was so in style). If I had been in clothes that they sell at Motherhood all the time, for example, I would have been hating life.

I think there is one really good reason to wait to make the switch though for as long as is comfortable: you'll be that much less sick of your clothes by the end of your pregnancy. I swear, I wore the same black skirt for the last two months every Sunday because I was too cheap to buy anything else that fit. And now, even though many of those clothes I wore while pregnant weren't maternity, I am still too sick of them to wear them again (even though, of necessity, I do sometimes).

Wow--who knew I had so much to share on this topic?

Meghan said...

I would transition into David's pants before maternity clothes. Somehow I felt that if I were wearing my husband's clothes, it still didn't count as maternity clothes for awhile.

Katrina said...

This is really funny I think. I don't recall really caring one way or the other. I just started wearing maternity clothes as my regular clothes got uncomfortable. I definitely wore my regular ones as long as I could because it gave me more options. And I love that so many shirts these days are long and stretchy enough that I could wear them the entire pregnancy. I actually still wear a few of my technically maternity shirts every once in a while--no one can tell and they are comfy. I saw being pregnant as a great excuse to do some shopping, so I didn't mind maternity clothes. I have some cute ones.

Kristyn said...

I wish I could make it to 20 weeks. With Jared, I was in maternity pants by 12 weeks! I was using a rubberband around 6 weeks- I just carry my babies so low that pants are out the door quick. You're probably just extra tired of the maternity clothes as this is their 3rd round.... maybe add a new shirt or two to the collection and it will seem a little more "fresh". Maybe try the Old Navy or Shade Clothing clearance online...

Heatherbelle said...

My first pergancy I put it off as long as possible because we didn't have money to buy new clothes. Plus I wore scrubs evryday to work which are really accomidating to an increasing waistline. Plus I didn't show until I was about 16 weeks! This time I am all aout comfort so I've been wearing yoga pants everywhere I can get away with it. But I have pulled out one pair of the preggo jeans because I can't stand anything tight across my protruding stomach. I figure why torture yourself by staying in uncomfortble clothes?

sarah said...

I think a belly shot is in order, soon!

Kristin said...

I lasted with Avery until about 20 weeks... with Jeffrey I had to wear maternity clothes at 16 weeks.

BUT, I am much more cautious now, because with Avery I stretched out LOTS of clothes. To the point that they couldn't be used after pregnancy because they were so mis-shapen (sp?).

danielle said...

Interesting. Well I wanted to start wearing maternity clothes the second I found out I was pregnant. In fact I was so bummed when my belly didn't show until 23-ish weeks. However, I was so sick for most of my pregnancy that I just could not bring myself to go out and shop (and I lived literally above a mall). SO by the time I felt better (around 7 1/2 months) I didn't want to buy much because I didn't have very long left to be pregnant. Also, I felt like whenever I did go shopping I couldn't find anything cute, or the stuff at the stores was not in season, because they sell things one season ahead, which doesn't really work for maternity when you need a winter coat right now and they are selling spring clothes. So my plan next time around is to buy maternity basics as I see them for good deals and have them all ready and in my closet before I get pregnant. I know it sounds crazy but I was SO sick last time...its the only way I can clothe myself.

Also, I am so curious about what other people wear to church when they are pregnant. I could not find a single cute maternity skirt anywhere. I had one dress that I just wore every single week.

Elise Decker said...

we all look incredibly tan in that picture

Related Posts with Thumbnails