Monday, March 23, 2009

Dinner party roundup: Indian feast



So amidst all the fun of having Jen here last week, I never posted on the dinner party we hosted a week ago. Sadly, I was so wrapped up in food prep that I never found my camera, so I'll try to get a photo from the wise guest who did remember hers. It was really fun (and a little bit stressful), and I am very glad that I am a list-maker, because I don't think we would have survived the evening without my lists everywhere of what to do when (we chopped all the choppables/gratables eight hours in advance, filled up the 'fridge with little Tupperwares full of various prepped ingredients, then followed my master list of start times when we actually began cooking at 6 pm for the 7:30 pm dinner. The most exciting part was getting the kids to bed while we had a stoveful of sizzling pans).

In any case, it was really fun to have an excuse to use my really nice tablecloths, napkins, and glasses, so just imagine that the table looked lovely, the dishes were delectable, and the conversation was fabulous. I was really grateful that I'd asked one couple to bring the fattoush and another to bring the gulab jamuns, because it was nice to have two less things to worry about (plus I think [hope] it was kind of fun for them to try out a new recipe themselves). I'm excited for the next couple of months; I think we may stick to the ethnic themes for the next couple of rounds and I'm excited to see what countries everyone else picks.

What I did do, however, was post all the recipes I used for the evening over on my cooking blog, so there you can find the how-to for our menu. We served pineapple juice and water for drinks, because I didn't want to overpower the rest of the meal with something more traditionally Indian (plus, you always need lots of water for a dinner like this!) The spice level is medium--the channa masala and tikka masala are fairly mild; the saag has a bit more kick.

Starter:
Fattoush

Main dishes:
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Saag
Masala Channa

Sides:
Hummus
Naan

Dessert:
Gulab Jamuns

3 comments:

Rachel Mae said...

Yay for the recipes! Josh and I are Indian food fanatics but our one attempt at cooking it was no good. The result was a more of a "salad" of spices and chopped veggies rather than an actual melding. But I want to give it another go. Anyway, I'm impressed!

Mary Beth said...

So exciting! Thank you for sharing. I'm definitely going to try these recipes out on my dinner group. :D

Kritta22 said...

I'm so scared to try this kind of food!!

Was it good??

Related Posts with Thumbnails