Wednesday, March 25, 2009

update

First of all, thank you so much for your kind comments and prayers--they are much appreciated.

Fortunately, it turns out that it wasn't a blood clot--the good news! The bad news is that every time I stand or sit, the baby is putting so much pressure on the veins in my legs that the blood is pooling and can't get past, so I end up with a walnut-sized painful lump of trapped blood, and then my leg either goes completely numb or starts throbbing with incredible pain (this on top of the really horrendous sciatica I've already had).

The ER doctor told me I can't exercise for at least a week, and possibly for the rest of my pregnancy, depending on what my ob/gyn says. He also said that I should expect this to get much, much worse by the end of the pregnancy. Essentially, the only way to alleviate it is what amounts to bed rest. Which is an intimidating prospect, given how much I depend on that daily run or walk or aerobics class to keep me sane.

I've tried not to complain too much on my blog, because I want to remember this pregnancy as a positive experience, but it has been so much more difficult than the previous two. I don't know if it's just a different pregnancy, or because I'm a few years older, or because it's the third, or a boy, or what, but I was not really prepared for the day-in, day-out nausea and pain.

On the other hand, one thing the ultrasound tech said today really made an impression on me. She asked (like everyone else at the hospital), "This is your first pregnancy, correct?" and I said, "No, it's actually the third," and she stopped, looked at me, and said, "You are blessed."

And I thought, yes, I am blessed. I am very blessed.

8 comments:

Elise Decker said...

oh my goodness, that was scary--well, i am praying for you and i hope that it all turns out okay and that you and the baby are healthy. love you.

lanada said...

I love you, Raquel. Don't know if that makes any difference, but it's true. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Rachael...You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Aunt Pam & Uncle Kevin

Brittanie said...

Rachael,
Reading about your pregnancy just about echoed everything I have been experiencing (minus anyone thinking this is my first;)). I keep telling Marcus that I am either getting too old, or the "boy" pregnancy is much harder on my body. Regardless, I have been much sicker, and in a ton more pain than ever before.

Good luck with the legs and hopefully you won't have to be on bedrest. Congrats on having everyone think this is your first too. What I would give...

Dani said...

Boy pregnancy is harder. That's what I've decided now that Brian is here. If you have to go on bedrest, it's really not as horrible as it might seem right now. Once you see that sweet little baby and know that you're ok and he's ok, it's all worth it!

Rachel Mae said...

Phew but sorry for your discomfort.

Katrina said...

Oh, I am so relieved! Oh man, that nurse saying you are blessed made me tear up. I'm sorry this pregnancy is harder on you. As someone who had to be on bed rest, I will say that it is not fun, but it's not the end of the world either. I read a lot and watched a lot of movies. :) But I hope it doesn't come to that. Take it easy though, k? You don't have to do it all. Love you!

Lindsey said...

Good luck. We are praying for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails