Friday, April 03, 2009

here's the skinny


photo from cornair.com and not of me

Here's the quick update (and it probably says a lot that I'm able to sit at the computer, however briefly).

The surgery went well. It was more complicated than initially expected, and they had to do additional work--apparently there was not only a hernia that needed to be repaired, but the round ligament was also damaged, and there was a problem with the veins that the doctor had never seen in 37 years of practice. Eek. Add that to the 1 in 1,000 odds of developing an inguinal hernia while pregnant, and I think you can all consider yourselves safe. In any case, the inflamed, matted, and swollen veins were likely the cause of a lot of the pain I've been experiencing, so hopefully that will go away as I heal. It was an interesting experience being awake through the whole surgery (since they couldn't give me general anesthesia with the pregnancy), and I was really impressed by how the staff went out of their way to treat me as a person rather than just another case. Very comforting to have the nurses rubbing my hands and arms when I was shaking and in shock, or to have the anesthesiologist gently touch my head as he was explaining yet another procedure. It made the whole thing much less terrifying (and it was really terrifying. I don't really want to be awake in the OR ever again. Interesting, certainly, but terrifying).
Other than that--I have a nice lovely incision and I'm just focusing on recovering, so I probably won't make much of an appearance in the blogging world for awhile. Thank you for all of your prayers, telephone calls, and emails. I have felt such an outpouring of love from friends and family this past week that has really touched me and made me feel incredibly blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

9 comments:

Erica said...

I'm so glad to hear everything went well. What a scary situation to go through. I hope your recovery goes well!

Aubrey said...

I hope you have a quick recovery. you are brave, i would never want to be awake in the OR.

Katrina said...

I'm glad you are doing ok! Being awake during surgery would be super weird and scary. Get better soon!

Nate and Nicole said...

I'm so happy everything went well, I've been thinking about you!

Rachel Mae said...

Wow--I can't imagine being awake. But it's over! I'm so glad it went well and I hope that things will be better for you from here on out.

Crapos said...

Oh, I'm so glad it went well. And I'm so happy you posted to tell us it went well - I've been wondering all day! I hope you feel better soon.

tricki_nicki said...

Thank you for posting! I've been thinking a ton about you, and am SO glad to hear that you're doing well. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Emily Anne said...

Glad you're okay. Scary stuff, especially during pregnancy. Hope your healing is quick and complete. I'm sure all the exercising and good eating you've been so diligent about will help the process.

Kritta22 said...

Oh I'm sooooo glad you are okay!!!!!!

I hope you heal fast!

It's amazing what a simple touch will do!

Related Posts with Thumbnails