Thursday, May 07, 2009

grey skies are bringin' me down




It's been an exhausting couple of days: everything I've been putting off the last few weeks of the semester got scheduled all at once. We moved Juliet into a big girl bed AND into Abigail's room, so we've all been a little short on sleep around here (naptime is going well, but bedtime is an hour-long giggle session. Plus they keep waking up really early and coming in and jumping on our bed). I'm still not really sure what to do with Abigail now during Juliet's nap; yesterday she fell asleep on the floor, but most days she goes and goes so that we're both totally exhausted by the time Jules is awake.

I've been to the dentist, the "baby doctor," the DMV (new license, title, and registration), the greenhouse (twice), visiting teaching, etc over the last three days. We've tilled the garden and my kitchen is full of seedlings that need to go in NOW! but it's still raining. Whew. Exhausted. Tired. Relieved that you're not supposed to smile in your driver's license picture because my eyes were so swollen from crying (general fatigue and overwhelmed-ness) that they puffed up oddly whenever I smiled. It was a looong day yesterday, and I was so grateful when Neil sent me to bed right after dinner. I realized yesterday (lying awake sleepless at night because of my post-dinner nap) that out of the last 31 months, I have been pregnant or nursing for all but six weeks. No wonder I'm tired!

On the bright side, Abigail keeps saying funny things that Neil keeps reminding me to blog about. So here are a few of the ones that I remember:
  • during family scripture study: "Mommy, did you know that 'slay' is just a fancy way of saying 'kill'? (can you tell who LOVES Fancy Nancy)
  • Watching me open a Mother's Day card: "I think when I grow up and I'm a mommy, you can give me all of your money for Mother's Day."
  • to Neil at dinner: "When I grow up, I'm going to send my kids to bed and then have parties every night when they're asleep. I know you watch movies and eat treats when I'm in bed."
  • after a long windy rainy day that de-petaled all the tulips, she prayed that the tulips would be resurrected because she missed them.

Today I'm glad that the sun is trying to shine again and that the girls each have a friend over. We need friends today.

ps--anybody recognize the song lyrics that the post title is from? hint: my favorite singer ever and one of my top five favorite songs.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I know who it is, but I had to look it up. Makes me kind of want to go home, even though my home is in the mountains! I guess home really is where all your family is...at least where most of them are.

Elise Decker said...

i guessed him, but i wasn't sure until i looked it up....and it makes me homesick too!

Rachel Mae said...

I'm sorry. You've got so much on your plate. As someone who tends to pile it on (though to a lesser extent), I can understand. My new motto is "just say no" and it's made life a lot nicer. Though of course there are a limited number of things you can say no to. Anyway, good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails