Tuesday, June 09, 2009

cloth update

Since a bunch of people have asked, here's how I feel after a week about the cloth diapers.

Loving them.

Yes, it's a little more work. Mostly just running another load of laundry every couple of days. I've been really impressed by a) how well the diapers hold everything in and b) how clean they get in the wash--not a sight or a scent of a stain. (I'm doing a cold soak, cold rinse, then adding a little Tide Free and Clear and running a hot wash/cold rinse, then air-drying the covers). But it isn't gross--actually, I would say that the "stinky" diapers aren't nearly as noticeable odor-wise as with disposable diapers. (and believe me, I've had plenty of chances to test this theory out.) I was really amazed to see how things just sort of...peeled right off (and btw, did you know that it's technically illegal to not dispose of the waste in disposable diapers in the toilet before dropping them in the trash? I certainly didn't).

In addition to the Fuzzibunz, we also ordered some prefolds and wraps (the Try-it Kit from cottonbabies.com) and I have really liked those. In fact, the prefold lasts just fine through Juliet's nap, which is great because those are much, much, much cheaper. So right now we have 2 Fuzzibunz, 6 prefolds, and 2 wraps, which is about enough to get us through one day. I ordered three bumGenius today and I'm planning to order another lot of prefolds and wraps so that I can do laundry about every other day.

Juliet has really taken to the new diapers--I must say that she's much more compliant about diaper changes now when she's had the chance to pick out the panda bear cover over the froggies, etc. And I really think her little backside looks darling in all the fun colors and patterns (seriously, have you checked out how adorable cloth diapers are? Totally stylish). I was a little worried about how much more frequently I'd have to change her, but it hasn't been much of an issue at all--I change her about every 2-3 hours during the day, depending on how much she's drinking, and then she's gone up to 13 hours at night.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that I haven't yet mastered the art of folding the prefolds so they don't leave little red marks over her backside, and they tend to bunch up a bit between her legs. The Fuzzibunz don't have this problem, but then again, each diaper is $18 more. Juliet doesn't seem to care, so I don't know if it's just me being neurotic or if it really makes a difference. And depending on how I do the fold (standard three-fold vs. bikini twist) her shorts don't fit as well (bikini twist works best, but has the drawback of occasionally leaking a bit onto the cover--but it's never made it through to her clothes). I'm also liking the velcro wraps better than the snaps on the Fuzzibunz--just a bit more user-friendly. The one thing I really do love about the Fuzzibunz is they're basically just like a disposable diaper--it takes me a grand total of 20 seconds to change a diaper, whereas the prefolds and wraps require a bit more finesse for a novice like me (a minute or two per change, depending on how wiggly Jules is).

Anyway, I'm really liking the switch. And here's a little secret I haven't told Neil (are you reading this, honey?)...I really don't care whether it saves money or not (although it certainly will). The more I learn about cloth diapering, the more I wish I would have done it earlier, and the more I wish I'd even known it was an option. Super easy, kind to the backside (who wouldn't want to have a nice little layer of microfleece?), and guilt-free.

3 comments:

danielle said...

Gosh I sure appreciate all the detailed info. I have sort of kicked the idea of cloth diapers around, but I think I am just too lazy. We'll see. I guess I just assumed when you said you were switching that you meant for the new baby. Are you going to use them for him too?

Rachael said...

yep--we're planning to use them for both kids, which is a big part of the reason why we went with the one-size for the Fuzzibunz and the bumGenius. I decided I wanted to try it now with Juliet, since she's on a more regular diapering schedule, and I would be able to make a decision a bit more logically without all the postpartum hormones.

necia said...

I've also heard that potty training is easier with kids who used cloth diapers. You will have to let us know if that is true when you get to that stage with Juliet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails