Wednesday, July 08, 2009

quilt is DONE!



I completely finished the quilt last night, with much much much help from Neil (he sat next to me for four hours and kept the tension steady on the huge mass of fabric, since the machine's automatic roller foot couldn't keep it going by itself). What a man. Seriously, I love that guy so much. For the record, making this thing entailed piecing together 20 squares, hand-quilting each one, then machine-quilting all the sashing, borders, and binding. It was an ENORMOUS project and I am so glad it's done! I put the quilt on Abigail's bed last night, and she had the most enormous grin this morning when she woke up and saw it--she grabbed it in both hands and hugged it to her chest. It was pretty rewarding to see that reaction. :-)

Here's the whole thing in all its iridescent glory (I swear, the colors are bright in real life, but not THIS bright!)



And it will be nice not to have this facing me every time the kids are asleep:



Here's a nice wrinkly shot of the borders and binding.



There are lots of flaws and imperfections, but I can definitely say it's better than the first quilt I made for the girls! (modeled here by Jules)



I also saw my doctor this morning (2 cm dilated, 70% effaced). She is really worried about how swollen my leg is (not just the foot anymore, how fun!) so she stripped my membranes just in case the baby is ready to come. So I have a slightly better than 50% chance of going into labor in the next 24 hours (how am I ever going to relax today?!) If nothing has happened by Tuesday, which to be honest with you, I'd be surprised if it does, she'll break my water then and we'll be having a baby sometime soon! While I'd like to go into labor on my own, I'd also like to avoid long-term damage to my circulatory system, so I feel good about this. I've also been having contractions and some cramping anyway, so I'm hoping that things will come more or less naturally in the end. One thing I really like is that while my practitioner definitely does medical intervention, she tries for the more natural method first (i.e. breaking my water vs. starting off with Pitocin).
And...that's all for now.

7 comments:

Elise Decker said...

wow! congratulations for both those bits of news! the quilt looks soooo good and i am excited for your baby! also, did mom tell you that i am going to be coming home a week earlier than originally planned!! hooray!

Katrina said...

congrats on finishing the quilt! and just in the nick of time it seems.

I hope things go well with the labor and that you can start on your own. But if not, I'm sure it will be fine. And I know you'll be happy to have that baby out and your body on its way back to normal!

Katrina said...

ps.... not sure if you saw my blog, but you can get a moby wrap for 30 bucks today on babysteals.com. thought you might be interested.

Ruth said...

The quilt looks great! And I love Abigail's skirt. Good luck with the baby!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is so beautiful! You are so talented! The baby news is exciting and you are in our thoughts & prayers! Take care of yourself. Much Love, Aunt Pam & Uncle Kevin

Tori said...

I totally am lurking (I was clicking on my sister Jolena's list of blogs), but I had to comment because I love that quilt. I completed my first quilting project, a wall hanging, earlier this year. Yours is gorgeous! Good luck with labor!

Elise Decker said...

haha, i also like how Abigail's skirt is about to fall off :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails