Friday, May 21, 2010

Foodie Friday: grilled lemon artichokes with spinach, fettucine, and fresh Parmesan


Last Saturday was busy, busy, busy.  We spent most of the day in the garden.  It was really fun--but very busy.  When dinnertime rolled around, I opened the 'fridge and considered my (limited) options.  Usually I am a super-strict meal planner, but occasionally I plan a night where I will create something out of whatever we have on hand so that I can use up lingering foods before I go shopping again. 

Here's what I had in my lineup of viable ingredients (not counting jams and things like that):

fresh spinach
strawberries
eggs
baby artichokes
pesto
yogurt
shaved Parmesan cheese

I'd purchased the artichokes on a whim, because I'd never cooked with them before and I thought it would be fun.  Neil eyed them a little dubiously when I got home. 

"Do you have a recipe in mind?" he said.

"No," I replied, "but I'm sure I'll think of something."

So.  Faced with a mostly empty 'fridge, artichokes it was. 

Here is what I came up with:  grilled baby artichokes tossed with spinach, Parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice, and fettucine retrieved from the pantry.  The nice thing about this meal is that you can take a little longer if you're feeling particularly chef-ish and prep the artichokes yourself, or you can go the ten-minute-meal route and toss in some canned artichoke hearts (I'll be honest, prepping the artichokes was more time-consuming than I'd anticipated).  I served this with a spinach salad and a huge bowl of sliced strawberries.  It had a nice little Mediterranean feel to it, which made it a fun Saturday night supper, and the artichokes really dressed up an otherwise ordinary bowl of pasta.  Recipe HERE.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

This looks wonderful. How can I make it vegan???

Rachael said...

Mom, I didn't use very much Parmesan--maybe an eighth of a cup? So you could leave it out entirely, or just add it to individual servings.

Reba said...

How is it that you post dishes that look delicious every single time? Will you please come cook for me?

Anonymous said...

It looks great and I'll bet the cheese tasted great too.

Dud

Related Posts with Thumbnails