Tuesday, May 18, 2010


I read a really depressing book last night.  It was one that I'd been looking forward to, since it was by an author I'd "discovered" in an American lit class in college and fallen in love with.  Basically the book was chronicling the collapse of a family and a marriage.  It was very well-written and very compelling, but horribly bleak.

When I finished it, I wandered out into the library where Neil was working.  I kissed him, and I told him how grateful I was for our marriage.  And I really am.  And I'm grateful that my children don't have to grow up under that kind of shadow. 

I've been realizing more and more how blessed I am.  To be in love with my husband.  To have a husband who's in love with me.   To not feel like I have to hide anything or hold anything back.  That really is an amazing gift, and one that's easy to take for granted.

3 comments:

Neil said...

I am a very fortunate man to have such a wonderful wife.

I love you.

Rachel Mae said...

So curious now what the book was!

Rachael said...

Rachel, I tried to link to it--it was Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich.

Related Posts with Thumbnails