Monday, July 19, 2010

eating from the garden


























One of my friends told me last week that her husband said having a garden was like having another child.  I thought about this while I was picking beans this morning after my run and decided I'd have to agree...it just takes some serious time.  And love.  I'm saying this as I think about all the time I've spent lately clipping leaves and spraying my tomatoes for early blight (most disheartening thing ever.  No fun at all). 

But on the other hand, the fun thing about the garden is all the lovely produce.  And we're at the point in the summer where sometimes it feels a little overwhelming--what do you do with all of this?  So here are some ideas:  this is what we've eaten this past week or so.  Bolded items are from the garden.

Stir-fried tofu with leeks, peas, onions, and lemon rice (Neil made this and it was so tasty!)

Pasta with sauteed (sorry, no accent mark!) zucchini, peppers, chard, and onions

Baked zucchini (slice in half, score with a fork, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan, bake at 350 for 30 minutes), mashed turnips, fresh whole-wheat bread, fresh tomatoes, cherries, and apricots

Grilled fish tacos with onions, cilantro, and lime (plus lots of fresh guacamole)--this didn't have much from our garden, but it was the universal favorite meal of the week--the kids wanted to eat it again the next night.  I served it with lettuce rather than cabbage. 

White bean and kale soup with zucchini and rosemary, plus fresh peaches and rosemary rolls

Roasted garlic soup with baguettes and peaches (not much garden, but this meal was at Abigail's request.  The kid loves garlic).

Cannelloni beans with caramelized carrots, onions, and pecans, roasted green beans (my new favorite food EVER and so simple:  toss 3 lbs of young green beans with 1 head peeled garlic cloves, 3/4 t. salt, 2 T. olive oil, spread on a rimmed baking sheet or two, then roast at 400 for 35 minutes.  Amazing, except for the part where Abigail ate four cloves of garlic and smelled rather...exciting), fresh blueberries, and whole-wheat bread.  (the beans are pictured at the beginning of the post)

Panini with fresh basil pesto, heirloom tomatoes, and mozzarella.  First one of the season, and sooooo worth waiting for. 

We've also been eating pounds and pounds of fresh green beans as snacks, plus cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.  Ah, summer. 

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Yum! We're having the pictured dinner tomorrow night. Can't wait for the green beans. Just wish they were out of our garden.
But...so far the deer haven't eaten my eggplant! I've got one that's almost ready....

Neil said...

Love you

Related Posts with Thumbnails