Thursday, July 15, 2010

A few things


































This is Juliet's superhero costume.  She wears it all the time.  I think it's adorably hilarious.


























This spring I planted fifty or sixty gladiolus bulbs.  I'm not a fan of paying exorbitant florist prices, but I must admit that nothing gives me a little lilt of happiness like a vase of gorgeous flowers sitting on the kitchen table.  So I love this time of year when I can grow my own!

























We're eating a lot from the garden these days--I go out in the morning and see what's ripe and that's what we have for dinner.  These onions, peppers, zucchini, and rainbow chard came together with some whole-wheat linguine (unfortunately, we discovered that we prefer the taste of kale to chard.  Next year we'll plant more kale and less chard.  We were seduced by its gorgeous coloring!)

Last night we had mashed turnips, baked zucchini, the first of the tomatoes, and fresh cherries and apricots.  (We also had a million cucumbers to eat but I forgot to cut them up.)  And then after dinner I spent an hour picking beans, and we pulled out about two pounds to eat, then blanched and froze another 3 quart bags of beans.  And then we canned a bunch of cherries.  We're slowly shifting into those typical late-summer evenings...harvesting and processing.  A lot.  Oh boy.  My feet hurt just thinking about it...tonight is reserved for blueberries (again!) 





























And last but not least, I want to give a shout-out to our cloth diapers!  We've been using them for thirteen months now (we started in June with Juliet before Isaac was born; Isaac began wearing them when he was two weeks old).  I am still so in love with cloth diapering.  Aside from the fact that I never have to buy diapers ever ever, which is completely awesome, they are so lovely and user-friendly.  No more diaper rashes, and the cloth diapers smell so much less than disposables (which I didn't expect at all--but when we were on vacation a couple of months ago and Isaac wore disposables, I noticed that the disposables are much more odorous).  If you're contemplating making the switch, I would highly recommend cloth diapering (so would Neil).  And yes--they do get completely clean.  :-)

5 comments:

Crapos said...

Swiss Chard. Ewww. We got some in our vegetable basket a few months ago and we really tried to like it but we just couldn't. We used it in a soup and the whole time I was thinking that spinach would be so much better.

Elise said...

those kids are dang cute....and those flowers (and food) are absolutely gorgeous.

Dani said...

Love the flowers! So gorgeous. I completely second the cloth diapers! We LOVE them. Thanks for giving me the inside scoop on those when we were wading through all of the info. Best decision EVER!

Neil said...

I like Juliet's outfit. How come I can't wear something like that to work?

Anonymous said...

Oh Neil but you can...once!

Awesome kid, gorgeous flowers, delicious pickings (great backdrop) and.....oh yeah, diapers...uh lovely, lovely diapers.
dud

Related Posts with Thumbnails