Friday, July 09, 2010

Foodie Friday: Zucchini stir-fry with coconut and basil



We've been eating zucchini for three weeks now in a variety of different ways:  steamed, baked, ratatouille, gratin, breads, etc.

A few days ago I thought it would be fun to do a stir-fry with some of the larger zucchini (you know, the ones that are tiny in the morning and you go out at the end of the day and they're ENORMOUS).  This was a clean-out-the-fridge dinner, so I planned to cook from whatever I had on hand that needed to be used up--so feel free to adjust as you please!  My version includes zucchini and yellow squash, peppers, onions, and pineapple gently simmered together in coconut milk, then topped with shredded coconut and chiffonaded basil.  (And yes, my little sister mocked me for my descriptions for the Foodie Friday meals.)  Recipe here

Best part about this dinner:  the kids were hanging around the kitchen saying, "What is that yummy smell?" (thank you, coconut milk).  And Abigail actually ate her entire dinner without complaining.  Which is a MAJOR victory.  In other words, I didn't think I made it look very appetizing in the picture, but it was very tasty.  :-)`

I realized that the last two Foodie Fridays have been zucchini-centric (mostly because hey, my garden is producing a lot!)  Would you prefer spiced zucchini-pineapple bread or blueberry lemon tea bread for next week's Foodie Friday? And if you're really looking to move some zucchini off your counter, try this ratatouille.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Didn't see the recipe on your food blog. And I want this one soon! We've had three zucchini so far, in reasonable spacing, but it looks like there's a lot more coming.

Emily Juliet Ainian said...

Judging from that food apron in the background... I spy a pretty little girl named Abigail. Also, that dish, in my opinion, looks really tasty! The zucchini-pineapple bread sounds best to me btw! I like the addition of pineapple to your dishes... it's kind of different.

Related Posts with Thumbnails