Tuesday, July 13, 2010

healthy snacks


Last week we ate our last Goldfish crackers.

I love Goldfish.  I also love Wheat Thins (oh, do I love Wheat Thins).  Both are pretty good options, I think--no high-fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils.  But I decided I wanted to bring our snacks more in line with the rest of our regular whole-foods plant-based philosophy.

Here's my problem:  sometimes I just want a snack that's ready to go and it doesn't require cutting or cooking or dishes or any effort on my part.  (Hence why I love Goldfish.) 

Fruit is obvious:  grapes, peaches, plums, apples, bananas, etc. are all great snacks.  One of my friends uses an ice-cube tray full of all kinds of cut-up fruits and veggies for her kids--I love this idea (but it does seem a little daunting to add preparing this to my regular morning routine...).  My kids also love ants on a log--you know, celery with peanut butter and raisins.  Fresh green beans, sugar snap peas, carrots, and cherry tomatoes, etc. are also hits. 

But what I'd really like to do is develop an arsenal of recipes for pre-made foods--the kind of thing that I can throw in my purse on the way to the park or the doctor's office, without worrying about cutting it up first or will it get squashed or brown before we eat it. 

I already have a stash of homemade fruit leather in the freezer (dehydrated baby fruit puree, very simple to do yourself!), and the girls are happy to eat sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds (unfortunately this can get very messy, so it's not a good doctor's-office solution!)  Sesame sticks from the health food store are also a favorite, but I still have my doubts about their relative nutritional value. Popsicles made from leftover smoothies are always lovely.  I haven't tried kale chips--I've heard mixed reviews. 

Today I tried making roasted chickpeas (I tossed them with salt, blood orange olive oil, and cinnamon)--you guys.  They were so gross.  I tried to eat them to set a good example, but...it was not happening (was it just a bad flavor combination? Any suggestions?).  I've made a few different variations of granola bars and the like, but I haven't found a recipe I really truly love.  (Should I just stick with Kashi bars?)

Do you have any tried-and-true recipes for homemade granola bars, crackers, etc.?  I'd LOVE to try them out!!

image--and don't you love Saxton Freymann's work?  So clever!

9 comments:

Malinda Crow said...

You should check out this blog

http://eatingfoodstorage.blogspot.com/

It has some granola bar recipes that she likes. I haven't tried any, but they look pretty good. There's also home made graham crackers and a bunch of other stuff, all made from food storage items. Pretty interesting.

Crapos said...

I know what you mean. We've been traveling so much this summer we've eaten a ton of processed snack foods (especially when camping and Grandma buys all the food). But snacks are hard and my kids are picky. We have made graham crackers before and my kids LOVED them. The recipe I have uses shortening though and I haven't tried it yet with substituting another fat. Email me if you want the recipe. And Sadie loves sunflower seeds too so I finally just started buying the nuts so we wouldn't have a huge mess.
Let me know if you come up with anything good!

Mary Beth said...

I am not best suited to offer advice here, because I cheerfully eat processed snack foods (in small-ish quantities). However, I do have a recipe for spicy roasted chickpeas! And these cheese crackers look really good; they fit the "not-processed" requirement, at least, if not the "healthy" one.

Chad said...

I say stick with the gold fish.

Neil said...

I think real gold fish (not the crackers) may liven things up.

Jolena said...

Don't give up on the roasted chickpeas! My husband has made them a couple times with different seasonings and they turned out fantastic. I think the key is less spices versus more because they have a pretty good natural flavor. He tried olive oil and just some garlic salt and whatever smelled good in the spice cabinet one time and another time did a cinnamon and sugar mix. Maybe not quite as healthy, but heavenly!

Jolena said...

My husband told me I have to let you know that you need to get them as dry as humanly possible lest they turn out soggy. His words. :)

Anonymous said...

Almonds, dried fruit(and standing firmly with all the other guys)the occasional goldfish--variety of your choice.

dud

Rachael said...

thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I've added some new bookmarks to my "recipe" folder.

Dad--how could I forget almonds? I love them. But unfortunately Abigail is the only kiddo who agrees.

Neil and Chad, I think you think alike. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails