Monday, July 26, 2010

Mom was right...

I was thinking this morning about how much better the day goes when I'm up early.  Neil and I were both up at six to run (we each run inside on the treadmill a couple of days and then outside on the others, so someone is always home with the slumbering kiddies).  By 8:30 am we had both exercised, showered, and gotten ready for the day.  The fourth (and last) load of laundry was in the washer; everyone had eaten breakfast and the dishes were done.  Beds were made, pajamas put away, and we'd had family scriptures and prayer.

I love starting my day with exercise.  It makes me feel super-charged for the rest of the day--I have so much energy.  It always reminds me of a quote from The Hours, where Meryl Streep's character remarks, "I remember waking up one morning at dawn, and the world was filled with possibility." 

I love that feeling.  I love watching the sun rise and thinking about my plans for the day and what I want to accomplish and how I'm going to do it, and I love having the energy to carry through on that plan.  I've been running early 3 days a week; I'm excited to bump it up to 5.  Not that I love staggering out of bed when it's still dark outside, or pushing myself to run when I'm still half-asleep, but I love the results. 

Two more things:  I started a separate running blog because I'm sure you don't all want to hear the details.  But if you're interested, you can go here.

Tomorrow is my 27th birthday.  I tried to convince Neil that turning 27 on the 27th deserved 27 gifts, but he just laughed.  But guess what?!  My mom and sister Mary Beth are coming to visit, and Mary Beth has promised to make me one of her super-amazing cakes (in all her "free time" as a law student, she has become a master baker.  Her creations always look so toothsome and I am very excited!)

And now the kids and I are off to the peach orchard--ooh la la!  I dearly love fresh peaches.  So nice that they ripened in time for my birthday (so I can spend the whole day canning tomorrow...awesome). 

6 comments:

Me said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy the peaches... mmmm.

Neil said...

Plus, you're getting some awesome birthday presents. I wish I could get a birthday trove like you.

Emily Juliet Ainian said...

Rachael!!! Tomorrow is your Golden Birthday!!! (A person's Golden Birthday occurs when they turn the age of their birth day (e.g., when someone born on the 27th of the month turns 27.) That's you! :)

Also - I SOOO wish I was there to can with you........... ;)

Meghan said...

Sounds like the perfect birthday to celebrate with some delicious Indian food (of course, that applies to every birthday).

Ruth said...

At least you don't have to mince the peaches...

aLi said...

Hey, way to go!!! I am pregnant now and in no way feeling like exercising. I just turned 27, too! Something funny when I read your blog: my thought process is down a bit lately, I had to pull out the calculator to see if I had in fact turned 27. I wasn't sure if I 26. Man, I tell you I am zapped of my ... um... everything. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails