Saturday, July 03, 2010

project makeover

I've been feeling very project-hungry lately. 

Right before we left on vacation, we redid the girls' room.

And as I type this, all my bedroom furniture is sitting in the garage covered in drying paint. 

There's a stack of paint chips on the kitchen counter, next to a sack of new hardware for my bedroom dresser.

Neil is almost finished building our new bedframe, which we designed as a Pottery Barn ripoff

I'm waiting to hear back on a couple of Craigslist wooden chairs, one of which I'm planning to lacquer bright red as a new computer chair.

I have a huge mental file of things I want to do (like make my own padded ottoman).

I love DIY projects. There is something SO satisfying out of completely redoing something you already own--or purchase cheaply--with a few cans of paint and a lot of elbow grease. 

I calculated the other day that the makeover we did on the girls' room (including the cost of the mattress, bedframe, bedskirt, sheets, hand-sewn quilt, window treatments, headboard, dresser, butterfly shadow boxes, tissue-paper puffs) cost us just under $200.  Which I think is pretty darn awesome. (And yes, I know I need to post pictures.)

What's your favorite DIY project that you've done lately?

(PS:  I should also say that I feel super full of energy because I'm all by myself--sort of.  Neil and Abigail are at the pool; Juliet and Isaac are asleep.  Free time!!!  Must do exciting fun things!!  I think I'll go bake the apple pie that I promised Neil at some point this weekend...)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Funny you would post this today. I'm currently in the middle of "redoing" (read: it wasn't ever really "done" so I'm starting from scratch) our spare bedroom and just got back from Michael's with more supplies. It amazes me how much a few coats of paint completely clean up and change a room!

Meghan said...

I was feeling pretty good about cleaning two bathrooms and washing sheets today...

Related Posts with Thumbnails