Friday, July 30, 2010

so I found the pictures after all--they were hidden in a duplicate folder


Modeling the apron Mary Beth gave me (and holding an awesome cookbook my parents bought for me--I think at Anthropologie, if you're interested in picking one up).  I should say that my presents this year were wonderful--I was so touched by how every gift was something that was perfectly tailored to my tastes and interests.  Really, really, really cool.  And all the photos on this post are taken the camera my parents gave me.  And I have been loving running with my new technical running clothes (thanks, G'ma and Papa!) and my iPod nano and Nike + sport kit (from my sweetheart Neil)--as soon as I get it calibrated. 
We made pizzas for dinner on my birthday--this combination of red onions, grilled eggplant, garden tomatoes, and freshly-made pesto was my favorite
A slice of the truly delectable flourless chocolate torte that Mary Beth (and Abigail) made.
Chocolate torte and orange gladiolus from the garden, post-festivities.
We spent Wednesday morning canning--pictured are peaches, peach jam, zucchini relish, 
and apple butter.
On Thursday we experimented with making mozzarella.  I really need to do a Foodie Friday
post on this (if there's enough interest--please comment if you'd like to learn more!) so I'll save
the details for that.
Stretching and kneading the mozzarella
Mary Beth & I holding finished mozzarella balls
Fresh mozzarella on rye with basil leaves and tomatoes, on heirloom tomatoes.

I should also say that we did indeed replicate the Artopolis crostini with amazing results.  
The secret is a balsamic vinegar reduction, which tastes...just...amazing.  (Very simple:  
slowly boil balsamic vinegar until it's reduced by about 3/4 in volume, then drizzle--we used
it on crostini, bruschetta, and pizza). 

7 comments:

Jen said...

Happy belated birthday, my friend. (I'd have said so earlier, but I've been unplugged for nearly a week.) Glad you had such a lovely time with your family.

Meghan said...

Wait! The balsamic should reduce to 3/4 of its original volume, so down by 1/4, not by 3/4!
And the key is to simmer very slowly, so it doesn't scorch, until it just begins to thicken. It will thicken more as it sets. You want the flavor to change from tart/sour to sweet. So good!

Rachael said...

Oops! I meant to say down to 3/4 of a cup from 1 cup. Thanks for catching that, Mom.

Crapos said...

I have one of those aprons and I love it! Some days I never take it off. Mine is in the wash right now and I've been dying all week!

Mary Beth said...

I've already had some people on facebook express interest in the mozzarella-making process, and I promised 'em (or at least hinted) that you'd do a Foodie Friday post on it, so you simply can't back out on me now! Also I want to make it, and I don't have the instructions we used.

(Also, you look absolutely fantastic in those photos. And I really, really need to get back into that running program, so someday I can look as fantastic as you...)

Laura said...

Now, admittedly, I'm reading this 30 minutes before my lunch break, but I'm now starving looking at these pictures! Yum! And I'd love a mozzarella tutorial!

Happy birthday!

Katrina said...

i never wished you happy birthday-- happy 27, rach! and yes please do a post on the fresh moz.

Related Posts with Thumbnails