Friday, December 03, 2010

Abigail's Thanksgiving play, Neil's birthday, and yes, there's really a baby in there

Last Tuesday we went to Abigail's kindergarten class as a family to watch her class play.  When I was there a week previously, I helped the kids paint their paper-bag vests and then got to be the the audience for one of their rehearsals, and it was so fun to see how much they had improved over the intervening week.  Abigail's teacher is really amazing--she works SO hard with these kids!!

The play was called the "ABC Thanksgiving."  Abigail and her friend Elise introduced the play, and then each child got up in turn with a turkey feather that had a letter written on it (Abigail was "I is for Indian").  Afterwards, they sang five or six songs with great and abundant enthusiasm.  And abandon.

Abigail had taught Juliet both her parts and all the songs, so Jules sat in her seat next to me and whispered all of Abigail's lines, then sang the songs and did all the motions.  It was really cute. 




The shots I have of Abigail by herself were all blurry, but I did get a couple of good ones of Abigail and Elise when they introduced the play to the audience. 


After the play, all of the parents and children went into the cafeteria and had a feast (we all brought assigned foods and had a potluck).  It was perfect for our family because the kids filled up on massive amounts of grapes and cheese before we drove to Michigan, and we actually had quite a peaceful drive.  Neil ate more pumpkin pie than any person should rightly be able to consume. 

As a sidenote, I am so grateful for how much Abigail is loving kindergarten--she has an amazing teacher (who has some incredible aides).  I have loved seeing her bloom and just absorb everything she can this year--I am so glad that kindergarten is showing her that learning is awesome!!!


Neil turned 30 last week.  I had big plans (and even a calendar planned out) of something nice to do or a treat to sneak into his bag every day for the 30 days preceding his birthday.  With all the bedrest, I probably hit about a third of them.  I didn't even make him a cake--he made his own key lime cheesecake with fresh lime curd.  Poor guy.  (But I did manage to make his mom's lasagna for him.) 

It drives me crazy when I start "showing," because it takes SO LONG to start looking pregnant and not just like I've had a little too much to eat.  I don't mind if people know that I'm pregnant, I just don't want to look pregnant until I'm about six months along. 
For the past couple of years I've been so much better about liking my body and being happy with the size and shape that I am instead of the size and shape that I wish I was, but pregnancy is really difficult for me.  Despite my husband's assurances to the contrary, pregnancy does not make me feel beautiful or glowy, it just makes me feel awkward and frumpy.  I have never resented the baby or the weight gain or the pregnancy itself, but looking in the mirror is always an uncomfortable shock to me.

6 comments:

Neil said...

Can anyone decipher the candles?

Mary Beth said...

Four lit candles and one already out...is this some crazy math thing?

Abigail is looking so grown-up! I love her hair, and her expression in that first picture.

Elise said...

i don't think you're frumpy. you're growing a perfect little child of God inside you. it's impossible to be frumpy with that divine spirit that you are giving a body inside you!

Anonymous said...

You have always been beautiful so just relax and "be" and don't worry about it all. You look great! I totally agree with Elise's comment.

Neil and Abigail look like they were enjoying themselves in their photos!

I love your previous blog pics too! Adorable children! Small children are such a blessing. :) Love, Aunt Pam

Anonymous said...

You have always been beautiful so just relax and "be" and don't worry about it all. You look great! I totally agree with Elise's comment.

Neil and Abigail look like they were enjoying themselves in their photos!

I love your previous blog pics too! Adorable children! Small children are such a blessing. :) Love, Aunt Pam

Dani said...

Um, count your blessings on it taking "so long" for you to look pregnant. I look pregnant before I even take a pregnancy test to actually confirm a pregnancy. With Brian I was in full on maternity clothes before I even hit 16 weeks. (People started asking around 8 weeks.) You look awesome! And yay for a new baby!

Related Posts with Thumbnails