Wednesday, December 15, 2010

a reconciliation letter to my old bff

Dear treadmill,

I am really sorry for all the times I referred to you "the dreadmill," or "the hamster wheel," or other such epithets.

Because no matter how much I prefer running outside to running on you, you are infinitely better than running around the inside of my house two hundred and seventy times (I had plenty of time to work out the math). 

Sincerely,

The penitent runner

****

So apparently I am actually addicted to running.  In addition to horrible headaches, I've been having nightmares about not being able to run.  Last night in dreamland I went for a 4.4-mile jog wearing my sheepskin slippers, and  I kept tripping over slippery wet leaves.  I've been having trouble sleeping at night, because I have too much extra energy.  Today Jules and Isaac miraculously both napped until Abigail got home from school, and I was seriously going crazy trying to be quiet (Jooj was asleep on the couch by the computer, so I couldn't do anything in the kitchen or main areas of the house).  I ended up reading By the Shores of Silver Lake front to back, pacing around like crazy, and staring longingly at the treadmill. 

Neil and I both agreed that it was too icy and cold outside for me to try running (please melt, bad ice!!).  If I wasn't 19 weeks pregnant I'd chance it, but at this point it's not really a smart choice. So tonight when Neil went to basketball I decided to look up aerobics videos on YouTube.  I did this one (yes, I really did) and then I decided to just run around the inside of my house. 

Approximate time to complete one circuit:  8 seconds.

Time I "ran": 36 minutes (hopefully I got 4 miles or so in, which is my standard run). 

I'm sure I looked like some kind of demented crazy, but it actually felt SOOOO good to run again, in whatever form.  Plus I pulled up iTunes on the computer and ran to my last half-marathon mix.

But I still can't believe that I spent 36 minutes running around my house 270 times.  That has got to be one of the weirdest/saddest/most obsessive things I've ever done. 

12 comments:

Katrina said...

you are nuts. :)

Rachael said...

i completely agree.

Elise said...

oh, i've done that. back in my running phase. well, a couple running phases ago.

aLi said...

LOL! Dude, 80's aerobics are awesome!!!

Mary Beth said...

I say this in all lovingkindness...you have a problem.

Over Christmas break, we will try to detox you, and I will teach you the fine art of lounging.

Chad said...

Try Yaktrax. They are like snow chains for you shoes.

Jess said...

Please teach me to be so addicted to exercising! Seriously I need help like that.

Jess said...

Please teach me to be so addicted to exercising! Seriously I need help like that.

Meghan said...

So did you change direction every 10 laps to avoid shortening one leg?
And I second the YakTrax. Just gave some yesterday to a sister I visit teach. Of course, it doesn't make the air you breathe any warmer.

Rachael said...

Yeah, I did change directions about every 3 minutes.

And do Yaktrax really work? Chad, have you used yours yet? I know you said on your running blog that you hadn't been able to so far this year--I'd love to hear how they work at different paces.

Chad said...

I know, I haven't actually used 'em yet. I've talked with several people who use and love them. One guy used to put screws in an old pair of shoes but the Yaktrax not only work but last. His pair is on its third season.

When it finally snowed here this week my knee was messed up and I didn't get a chance to try them out; and now the roads are mostly dry again. Just looking at them you can tell they are going to improve traction a lot. I'd like to give them a cautious try on black ice and see how they do.

Meghan said...

You can try mine when you're here. Though I've never had them last for more than a year or two. But it's worth it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails