Monday, January 17, 2011

neti pots and molasses candy. because that pairing makes sense, right?

We had a fast/slow weekend around here:  a crazy burst of productivity on Saturday followed by the misery of colds all 'round on Sunday.  Can I just say again how much I love my neti pot?  For all you unbelievers out there (MARY BETH, I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!) it is the most amazing thing ever in helping stave off entirely (or just cut the duration short) of those beastly winter colds.  When I woke up, I felt like my head was going to explode; a quick session with the neti pot and I felt ready to take on the day (although I had to give myself a little pep talk--out loud, for reals--to run.  Head colds and running just are not fun friends).  I had to chuckle when I overheard Neil fervently testifying to his dad about the effectiveness of the neti pot--they are just awesome.  A little weird-looking, but awesome.

I'm thinking for treats after family home evening tonight we may make this molasses snow candy (think Little House in the Big Woods).  Hopefully it will restore my credibility as a cook with the kids:  we tried 3 new recipes last week and 2 of them were total duds (Neil and I liked the third, but the kids did not). 

This is completely random, but I have really been enjoying selling textbooks and old magazines on eBay and Amazon lately.  It's nice to get money back from clearing out things that you don't want any more; even better when you can get rid of old books and fund a closet makeover!  Which was our project on Saturday.  Pictures to come!


ps...Mary Beth, I love you.  :-)  But really, try out your neti pot. 

5 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm a second witness for the Neti Pot! And I'm sure we could come up with a lot more. Seriously, it is so much more effective than over-the-counter meds. I decided to take the Neti Pot seriously when I saw it recommended on the Mayo Clinic website. There's also a good article at http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots if you need scientific backup. But it works!

Mary Beth said...

I am over my cold! But I am glad you are getting over yours, too.

Dani said...

I second the neti pot! It's amazing!

Elise said...

i used the neti pot for the first time today. i kind of shuddered at first, but then i closed my eyes and it wasn't that bad. after you get used to the whole water up your nose thing.

Afton said...

Okay I was totally going to post about neti pots a few months ago but never got around to it--except I HATE them!!! My dr suggested it after she found out I'd been having bad headaches all the time and she figured it was sinus related. I had to give myself a pep talk every time I used one because it felt like I was being dunked under water, that horrible, horrible drinking water through my nose feeling. I've heard some people swear by them, but it never seemed to make a difference for me--except it would make my head hurt worse for about 20 min. Glad it works for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails