Sunday, May 22, 2011

garden and baby Luke





























When I came home from the hospital a week ago, looking out in the backyard was like a recipe for stress.  The grass was overgrown, and the garden had undergone a weed explosion (seriously, it was awful).  We'd had a week of 90-degree weather and thunderstorms, which seemed to signal everything to go crazy growing.  Then we had a week of 30-degree nights, so all my little plants couldn't actually get tucked into the soil until things warmed up.

This weekend we spent Friday night and Saturday morning working on the garden, and I must tell you, I was so overjoyed to have it done!  As I patted the soil around the last of my transplants, I felt a huge surge of relief and I was so happy I went inside and made this.  It's so nice to want to cook again--I feel like I've been in a slump for months.  Winter is a dark time for me food-wise.  But as you can see from the picture above, my sink is full of lettuce, radishes, and green onions, and I have high hopes for everything we planted yesterday.  We're doing a very simplified garden this year because I know this summer will be a little crazy (we're focusing on beans, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, zucchini, lettuces, and herbs--lots of all of the above, but you'll notice most of those are not very weeding-intensive crops--thank heavens for black plastic and lawn clippings-as-mulch).  I spent an hour weeding the lettuce box and transplanting the little lettuces that seeded themselves all over the rest of the garden--I've never done this before, but it was AWESOME, so I will every fall from now on--I let the fall lettuce just go to seed and left it there over the winter (lazy much?) and voila, this spring there were baby lettuces everywhere and we've been glorying in sinkfuls of lettuce!





































 Luke slept in his little bouncy seat for most of the time that we were in the garden--it was lovely and breezy and beautiful being out there with my little family.  Every few minutes I would pause in my mud-grubbing, look around, and think, "We have four children!  Four!"  I wish we had more times like that, because that's what feels really idyllic to me--being outside in the cool spring mornings and evenings working together with my family.

After we finished in the garden on Saturday, Neil went back to work.  The afternoon and evening were hard for me alone with the kids.  Everyone was really well-behaved, considering all the upheaval of the last few weeks, but I found myself feeling pretty tense over trying to monitor all four of them, keep everyone in clean diapers, doing laundry, and making dinner.  I haven't had much time to just sit down with the kids and play or read stories this week, and I've really missed that and I think my attitude towards them has suffered because of it--I feel guilty which hampers my ability to be patient.  Abigail and Juliet have been super-involved in their own imaginative world and there hasn't been much room left for me, and I've been feeling mournful over that.  I love the fact that they play so well together, but it still makes me sad that they're not excited to cuddle up with me and read stories or play with Legos (plus I'm still trying to find better tools/strategies for building a good relationship with Abigail--this article on six-year-olds caught my eye this morning). 






























But enough words--forgive my verbosity; everyone else is at church and Luke is napping peacefully--here are some more pictures of baby darlingness.  He is so adorable and sweet and kissable--and he has those patented enormous cheek-pillows that are just perfect for nibbling and kissing a million times a day!  (the second picture is of him doing what Neil calls his "Thriller hands.")





1 comment:

Meghan said...

Good article on 6-year-olds. Best mantra for the next 20 years or so: This Too Will Pass.

I want a garden!! Maybe we can work on that after the open house. I think we'll be planting flowers first Saturday, but I'm hoping for eggplant on Monday!

You have a lovely little/big family. They're all turning into great people, but the metamorphosis can be long and painful. And fun and joyous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails