Sunday, November 20, 2011

canning

A few weeks ago I was interviewed by our local paper about food preservation.  We spent almost half of the interview talking about the Church (because honestly, that is the main reason why I can--we're supposed to have food storage and gardens and all that).  The journalist was really interested in how the Church has influenced me as a homemaker and mother, and it was a neat experience talking with her and with the photographer, who is friends with our stake president.

The article came out today--I was sad to see that there wasn't anything about the Church in it, but it was still fun to read (although I was kind of bummed that the main focus of the article was about someone who was just canning that day for the first time--but oh well!  Maybe it will get more people into canning.  Plus, they asked me if I would be willing to can stuff so they could come photograph it and I just looked out the window at my frozen garden, gray skies, laughed, and said it was late October and I was done for the season!  So I guess they went with someone who was willing to go to the grocery store and make a mess.  :-) 

Anyway, I am not linking to the full article for privacy reasons (if you're friends with me on Facebook I posted it there), but here is the bit that has to do with me:

"For Rachael (last name), canning is less about food and more about family. From start to finish, her children are a part of the process. They help pick the seeds, weed and harvest, and their little fingers are eager to help when the canning process begins.
"Working together for a couple of hours, peeling peaches or smashing strawberries gives us a forum to talk and teach our children not just about food, but whatever it is on our mind," said the 28-year-old mother of four. "We're raising children, not just vegetables."

Canning camaraderie

While many new generation canners first got the inkling from being around it while growing up, some taught themselves or were taught by others.
[Rachael] and [other person] both had exposure to canning as children but didn't fully grasp it until they were young mothers.
"I learned a lot from other moms when I started doing it on my own," [Rachael] said. "We are taking the best of old-fashioned methods and making them work for the modern generations."
The end.  There is more but that's all I'm posting here.  Sorry!  :-)

And if you're concerned with journalistic integrity and proper citing of sources, please contact me at theirchronicles@gmail.com and I can give you the publication info.  There, have I covered my bases?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails