Monday, December 05, 2011

today was good

I had one of those nights last night where you just can't sleep.  I fell asleep too early, woke up when Neil came to bed, he asked me a question about something I was really stressed about, and it ended up being another 4 hours before I fell back asleep.  So when I woke up this morning, I was totally groggy and literally falling asleep every time I was still.  I honestly could not fathom how I was going to make it through the day!

But in looking back over the day, it was a good day.  It was my day in Abigail's classroom this morning and we had a few minutes of snuggle time in the poetry corner that were just lovely.  I found time to clean my kitchen during lunch when everyone was miraculously entertained by food.  Neil worked from home this morning (while I was at the school) so that Luke could nap in his bed rather than taking a catnap in the stroller, and wonder of wonders, Luke slept the ENTIRE time I was gone!!  Jules and I had a few quiet moments to read our chapter of Little House on the Prairie and put together a Family Home Evening lesson for this evening.  I remembered to start making bread early enough to greet Abigail with a warm slice as she came home from school.  I made it to Abigail's dance recital on time with all four kids (no small feat, I can assure you).  We had family home evening afterwards and everyone actually paid attention (another miracle!).  And as the children were falling asleep, I sat at the piano and played some Christmas carols by the light of the tree, then switched over to Beethoven and Bach and Schumann as they were drifting off to slumberland.  It felt like a Norman Rockwell painting or something bizarrely idealistic but perfectly sweet at the same time.

So I survived.  :-) 

3 comments:

Jolena said...

That sounds so idyllic and lovely. :) Aside from the falling asleep part of it. Yay for those kinds of days! I cuddled up with Spencer reading stories before he took a nap today and just relished happy mother/son time. It reminded me why I so enjoy being a mom. Those days really help.

Neil said...

You said that getting the kids ready for the recital was "no small feat" when, in reality, it was eight small feet.

Liebe Libby Lebih said...

I love those days I can look back on and think, "Today was good. Nothing spectacular, but really peaceful and good." Yeah that you had one of those!

Related Posts with Thumbnails