Thursday, February 23, 2012

things I am thankful for today

It's been awhile since my blog had words, so...here are some words.  Things that I'm grateful for.

  • the time I spent today on the couch with Juliet folded into my lap and her head snuggled under my chin while we listened to Abigail, who was snuggled up to my other side, read to us while the boys played together on the floor. I was perfectly and completely content and it was the best part of my day.
  • Isaac's funny ways of speech:  "I'm a T-wex with weewee sarp cwaws!"
  • and that Isaac is (mostly) potty-trained.  This makes my life feel so much easier.
  • Good friends.  I made a really quick call today to a friend, but Isaac was yelling in the background so I didn't talk very long, and afterwards I was wishing I'd had a few minutes to chat with her because I enjoy her conversation so much.  And ditto for the friend who had Isaac and Juliet over for a playdate earlier, and I hung around forever when I was picking them up because it was so nice to talk with her!  I like friends.  I need to make friendship more of a priority in this busy busy life.  Friends, I have missed you all and you all are wonderful.
  • physical therapy.  It's hard to be grateful for this because I was feeling particularly cranky today about the fact that it's eating an hour every day (and how effective is physical therapy when you're toting a baby on one hip and a little boy is zooming a car up and down your other hip?), but my knee has progressed from horrific pain to just feeling sort of weird and making popping noises, so that's pretty darn awesome.
  • my husband works so hard for us.  He's back at the lab right now, and I spent the evening eating chocolate ice cream and reading a fun new book... 
  • ...because the grading that has been plaguing my life out is finally done.  Words cannot express how happy this makes me.
  • I'm thankful for "Downton Abbey," which admittedly is trending a bit towards the soap opera genre, but it's still awesome anyway.  It's going to be a long year until we find out what happens next!
  • my calling right now is really pushing me to think and consider and ponder.  The latest series of lessons have been topics that have been really difficult for me, and it has been so good to read tons of talks and articles and viewpoints in addition to the lesson material (which is admittedly quite outdated--and okay, I'm pretty much teaching straight from the supplemental Conference talks and the scriptures and not the manul).  I feel like these lessons are for my benefit more so than for the Laurels (I know people say that all the time about lessons or talks, but it's true for me), but these sweet young ladies are patient with me anyway while I work through my issues and try to give a coherent lesson!  And that's another thing I am grateful for--these girls are AMAZING.  Just amazing.  I love love love teaching them.  This is my favorite calling that I've ever had.  Another thing I'm grateful for.  :-)
  • growing maturity.  We've had to make some changes in our home and future plans that have seriously curtailed personal goals that I had set for myself, and I'm at peace with that.  These are things that I really would have struggled with giving up even six months ago, and I am so grateful that I can do it now.  
  • Luke's cheeks.  Every time he looks up at me and rubs his fat little hand through his wee curls and says expectantly, "Mam mam mama?" I just have to kiss those chunky little pillows a hundred times (note: my mom says this is why we're always sick and she is absolutely right.  we share germs, oh yes we do).  
  • baked oatmeal.  I've been making this for Friday morning breakfasts for probably six months and everyone in my family loves it.  EVERYONE.  it is the best thing ever to start out that last weekday, especially because you can make it the night before and stick it in the 'fridge.  here is the recipe (I've modified it from the original source (scaled some elements down so it makes just enough for our family, added more apples, and substituted applesauce for all of the oil)

    2 c. oats
    1 c. milk (more if it looks really dry)
    1 egg
    1 scant t. baking powder
    1 t. cinnamon
    1 t. vanilla
    2 Granny Smith apples, diced
    1/2 c. applesauce
    1/4 c. maple syrup
mix everything together until it's a big gooey mess and then plop it into a greased baking dish, cover, and pop it in the 'fridge.  bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  

1 comment:

Gretta said...

Ugh...grading. I get that. When does the misery go away? It's enough to make me seriously consider whether I'm cut out to be a teacher.

Now, chocolate ice cream and a good book...that I can get down with. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails