Wednesday, April 25, 2012

there is sunshine in my soul today


























It never ceases to amaze me how getting over a cold (I'm still sniffling and coughing, but definitely on the downhill slope) can improve my outlook on life.  For the first time in...what feels like forever! I actually feel like myself again.  And don't you love those fat baby toes digging into the sand (which Isaac so kindly shoveled out of the sandbox for him?)  Oh, those make my heart feel happy.

Other things that are making me happy today:

  • Isaac and I did yoga together this morning for the first time in months.  I ran very late last night and when I woke up this morning I was a mass of achiness.  Post-yoga, I felt SO invigorated and stretched and renewed!
  • Juliet just came in and showed me a magna-doodle where she'd written "JULIET MOM I LOVE YOU" surrounded by a field of hearts.
  • A letter came in the mail today telling us that Abigail had made the cut for the school's high-ability classroom next year.  I'm excited to learn more about this opportunity as we make a decision on whether to accept the placement, and even more excited to tell Abigail her results (they did this enormous battery of tests for a month, plus I had to fill out all this personality assessment stuff, etc.  It was a serious undertaking).  Mostly, I am excited about this because I was worried about her ability to stay focused during all those tests, and whether her innate intelligence could conquer her tendency to ignore things that she finds boring or pointless.  I am SO proud of her!
  • My little sister found out yesterday she is having a baby girl!  And I am so relieved that her nausea is starting to abate--she was so sick that she was going in every few days for IV fluids.  I've been really worried about her and I'm so grateful that she is doing better.
  • A friend and I are going to see Titanic tonight.  I saw that movie four times in the theater when it first came out, and I admit I am ridiculously excited to go see it tonight (although the idea of a night out, sans kids, is probably more exciting than the movie itself!  I have a serious case of cabin fever going on).
  • Jules came from preschool today with a paper award ribbon that said, "I am special because...I love snuggling with my blankie."  She asked me why I thought she was special, and I started to say, "Oh, you're special because you are so kind to Lukey, and you are my great helper, and you have cute little curls" and she interrupted me and said very seriously, "No, Mommy.  I am special because I am a child of God."  
  • Classes end this week, which means I am thisclose to being done with this semester's grading.  Can't say enough good things about that (I am also excited to be done with the ward fundraiser, because I have that pit-in-my-stomach feeling when I think about being onstage.  Mostly because I feel like a fool in my wig (yes, wig), but oh well.  It's for a good cause). 
  • I've been making more of an effort to find new recipes instead of cooking old standbys.  Old favorites are always great, but I hate eating the same things over and over again.  Last week I made finding new recipes a priority; we had five new meals, and I loved it (even if my kids didn't).  In fact, right now I am eating one of these:   http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/01/super-bean-burritos.html  which freeze BEAUTIFULLY and have been lovely reheated for lunch the past couple of days (which is great because I often skip lunch because I am trying to unload the dishwasher and make dinner while the kids are stationary eating lunch).  
  • Lukey knows my name.  Which he is calling loudly while he tugs on me, so...the end.  

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I love melskitchencafe!! I am excited about our little girl too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails