Thursday, November 01, 2012


We had big plans for Halloween this year.  In September, we decided we wanted to throw a Halloween party.  A few weeks before the actual day, the girls and I made a guest list and "designed" invitations (does it count if we used Evite?).  It was so, so, so fun planning it with the girls, and we had all kinds of grand schemes for games and frying donuts and mulling cider and making delicious treatsies for the dinner.



And then, of course, the stomach flu decided to settle in at our house.  The day before the party, we finally admitted that we weren't going to be better in time.  Such a bummer.  (But this pie that I made while everyone else carved pumpkins helped allay some of my sorrow.)


Fortunately, we still managed to have a pretty fun Halloween evening.  The kids were all better by that point (it was just Neil and I who were feeling miserable, and let me tell you, there's nothing like nausea to help you avoid snitching your kids' candy after they go to bed!)

 We went out really early before it got too cold and hit a few houses with the boys...

 Luke had no clue what was going on but he DID know he did not want candy in his bag, he wanted in his mouth RIGHT NOW NOW and he was not about to move another step until someone complied.


































Abigail decided at the last minute that she wanted to be a vampire princess.  She was so excited about the fact that her missing tooth made her look like she had fangs.  I love that kid.



































It was pretty chilly, so I had everyone wear a coat with their costumes.  Juliet got stuck trying to pull her costume over her coat and said in this voice of total horror: "I am a marshmallow! No! Don't look at me! Turn away!"  It was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing, and I kept apologizing for my helpless giggles while I tried to straighten her out.  Fortunately she was a good sport about it.



































After the boys went home with Neil, the girls totally wore me out--they were little speed demons racing around the neighborhood (by this time I was feeling pretty sick again, but fortunately survived until we got home, where I spent four very miserable hours before finally falling into a blessedly unbroken sleep).  They were so cute and funny that it was so much fun spending time with the two of them.  And then we came home and everyone pooled their candy so happily and shared the ones that they knew someone else particularly liked that it ended up being one of my favorite Halloweens yet.



2 comments:

Elise said...

I love every single thing about this post! I would LOVE to have a Halloween with you guys!

Melanie said...

So glad the night turned out so well... although we were terribly bummed about the party! Thanks for being responsible about your germs, anyway... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails