Wednesday, December 26, 2012

10 year anniversary


























When Neil and I were first dating and in the early years of our marriage, I was always a little disappointed that he didn't respond to my (very regular) written expressions of love.  I would buy him cards, leave little notes around the house (one of which he still has in his wallet, which is sweet), write him emails about how much I loved him, etc.  When he got home from work, I would say, "Did you get my email?"  and he'd said, "Yep.  I love you too," and I'd say, "Do you maybe want to write that back to me?" and he'd say, "Why?"

After a few more years, I had learned to cut back and he had learned to write back.  It's a good mix now, but still, he's much more of an "actions speak louder than words" kind of guy.  He lets me sleep in while he makes breakfast and gets the kids ready for school, he always takes the trash out and fills my car up with gas, and he does the dishes every night after dinner (without complaining about the giant mess I made cooking dinner) while I wipe off counters and jabber at him about my day.

But still.  As an English major, I do appreciate the occasional verbal expression of love.  Which is why I had a giddy little butterfly fluttering around in my stomach the other day when I came home from an early-morning appointment and saw that he had started a load of diapers before he left for work, and he'd left me a note on the whiteboard as to what wash cycle they were on.

True love, I tell you.  Ten years of it.  It's marvelous.

also, yes, he mocked me for taking a picture of the whiteboard.  

1 comment:

Gretta Whalen said...

This is cute.

Happy Tenthiversary. That's hella impressive.

Related Posts with Thumbnails