Sunday, December 02, 2012

Days of Christmas

One of the things I love most about my little family is creating traditions.  It warms my heart when my children say, "Oh, but we can't forget to do X because we always do that!"  I'm not really sure why (maybe because I'm such a stickler for routines?) but I love having things that we just always do.  (Which reminds me, I still need to post our thankfuls for this year.)

In any case, this is the third year now that we're doing our family advent chain counting down to Christmas.   We have some fun things coming up and, as always, it was fun making our list together!  This means that I feel like I should blog (again, already!) because the pictures are quickly mounting up.

The not-so-fun part is that we are still super sick.  Blah.  But we've had really nice weather here the last couple of days, so yesterday we sniffled and snuffled our way through the woods and rejoiced in the fact that we were finally able to take a walk again as a family! (I miss those summer walks so, so, so much.  Actually we went on a really awesome hike/picnic a couple of weeks ago but I forgot the camera.)



Yesterday I caught myself envying Abigail's outfit.  I'm not sure which of us is more in love with those boots.


 We didn't go to church today (for obvious reasons).  I woke up feeling worse than I have all week--I got up around 9, got a little bit of breakfast to take back to bed, and then fell asleep again right away and slept until 1 pm.  Craziness!  I can't believe I slept through all of the noise from the kids--it sort of filtered in now and then, but never enough to actually wake me up.  (I think Neil was really, really relieved when I finally put in an appearance again...).

While Luke napped, we painted wooden soldiers to hang on our Christmas tree and listened to Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby croon Christmas carols.  (We buy or make an ornament for each person every year...it makes putting up the tree so fun and nostalgic.)

 Isaac was so, so, so proud of his soldier.  He turned to me and asked raptly, "Mommy, isn't dis dee most beaudeeful thing you've ever seen?"




 Abigail reading a beautifully rendered pop-up version of The Twelve Days of Christmas to the younger kids--this is one that she and I bought together last week and I'm hoping it becomes an heirloom in our family.
 Our finished soldiers (Neil's, Isaac's, mine, Abigail's, Abigail's, Juliet's, Neil's...Luke was asleep).  I didn't even think about checking our paint stash beforehand and we realized afterward that it would have been really nice to have green, blue, and black.  Next time!
 Then after dinner we made these really yummy Christmas cookies...




...and ran across the street in our pajamas (it's seriously like in the 60s or something here) to sing carols to our neighbors and give them cookies (we were very careful to have only Neil touching the cookies/dough/etc.).  Our neighbors probably thought we were jumping the gun a bit (caroling on December 2nd?), but hey, cookies!

Oh!  And Neil spent several hours yesterday hanging lights on our house.  They are the running kind so it looks sort of like a Vegas-style marquee.  :-)





1 comment:

Elise said...

sounds like a really fun day! (minus being sick...) also, I REALLY love the variety in ethnicity of your soldiers. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails