Monday, December 17, 2012

Hopeful?

I haven't taken any pictures, but I've been doing a terrible job chronicling holiday things with the flu this week.  So here's what we did over the weekend:

Saturday:  
For some awesome reason, the girls inherited my love of clearing things out and organizing.  So we spent all Saturday morning doing that and Abigail told me excitedly at one point, "This is like the best day ever!"  Yes, it's genetic.  (Neil puts up with us both.)

Then Neil went to work, Luke took a nap, I ran on the treadmill (awful run because I was still feeling really sick), and then we played with the LEGOS for awhile, then we made pizza and had a game night party as a family.  It was the ward Christmas party, but I was worried about kiddies being too sick to go, so we just decided to hang out ourselves.  Neil picked up some treats of the variety that never show up in our house (Mike and Ike's, Starburst, and Oreos) and we had a blast playing Phase 10 and charades with the kids.  It was a lovely evening and I was so glad we hadn't gone to the ward party because the kids started taking turns that night throwing up every hour from 10 AM to 3 AM).

Sunday:Neil did some frantic early-morning calling around the ward looking for a substitute (fortunately I wasn't scheduled to teach this week) and we all stayed home--we were originally planning to have one of us take the healthy kiddies to church, but then realized that we had no idea who was going to be sick next and that apparent health was no actual guarantee of true health.  So we stayed home and mostly I slept all day.  Seriously.  I can't believe how exhausted I was--the night of very little sleep plus the lingering flu plus pregnancy totally did me in.  I took a nap in the morning, a nap in the afternoon, and then went to bed at 8:30 and woke up just in time to catch the second round of sick kids at 10:30 PM.  Another night where I didn't get back to sleep before 3 AM.

Today:
Overall, much better.  I ran again this afternoon and felt like a human being instead of something half-dead.  I cooked dinner (yesterday I produced not a single meal).  I vacuumed--thrice!--and did laundry and read stories and helped with homework.  For Family Home Evening, we sang carols around the piano, baked gingerbread men (and ghosts and gorillas and elephants, because Luke really wanted those ones), and watched the old cartoon version of "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas," which our kids had never seen and which I may or may not have never seen.  Fun times.  I'm hoping that we continue to improve and that we can enjoy the next couple of weeks.

And a HUGE SHOUTOUT to my baby sister Rosalind, who is getting married tomorrow!!!  I am so sad that I can't be there (but also glad that I didn't inadvertently pass along stomach flu as a special wedding gift!), but I am so thrilled for her.  Her fiance is such a great guy, and I am so happy for the two of them to start their life together.  I'm feeling especially sentimental thinking about her wedding, since it's almost exactly ten years ago that Neil and I were married, and I look back so fondly on those first years.  So many wonderful things in store for the two of them, and I'm so excited for them to learn and grow together.  Hip hip hurray!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails