Friday, February 22, 2013

the children's hour




























My very favorite time of day with my children are the hours after lunch (oh, how we miss our Abigail during the school week!).  Everyone is calm(ish) and fed and happy, and it has so many little moments packed into those few hours that are the ones I really look forward to every day.

Usually as I'm washing the lunch dishes, Juliet is snuggled up with the boys and reading them stories.  The kitchen is shining with cleanliness and the low hum of the dishwasher is a sonorous background when I leave to join them.  When I tell Luke it's time for his nap, he chortles with happiness and runs for his room, stopping to grab his beloved blankie on the way.  The two of us find his pacifier and then cuddle together in his rocking chair (sometimes Isaac joins us, sometimes not).  We read his current favorites and he takes out his pacifier to tell me the order that he'd like them read in today.  (Right now his best-beloveds are Llama Llama Red Pajama, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Night in the Country and The Best Nest.  He actually woke Neil up this morning by climbing onto our bed with Night in the Country and demanding,"Da-yi, night-night sory!")

When Luke and I finish reading our stories together, I sing him his two favorite lullabies, "Tender Shepherd" and Mindy Gledhill's "Hourglass."  I rub his head while I sing and he snuggles contentedly against me and sighs with happiness (sometimes if he's really sleepy, he rubs his own head too).  About half the time, his eyelashes drift downward to brush his cheeks and his body goes limp and heavy as he falls asleep in my arms.  He's the only one of my children to do this on a regular basis, and it is such a gift to have this daily time of perfect happiness with my very busy little boy.

After I tuck Luke into his crib, I go out to read with Juliet and Isaac.  I pick up my knitting and Juliet and I take turns reading aloud (she's started to knit too, so this is also when we do her kntting lessons).   Often the time slips away and I don't notice how long we've been reading, the three of us curled up together in a pile of pillows and lovies and blankies, until my voice gets increasingly hoarse.  Isaac rests his head on my shoulder and Juliet tucks her hand around my arm and my heart overflows with love for my precious babies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Have a great weekend!
Love,
Aunt Pam

Meghan said...

This is a good one to go back and read on one of "those" days. Great job at capturing the shimmering moments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails