Monday, March 11, 2013

A day away



A few months ago, my dear friend Melanie and I were having one of our rather-frequent chats about grad school and surviving an often-absent husband and all of that good stuff, and I was bewailing the fact that they are moving on with their lives and that we really sort of needed one last hurrah before they left town.



And thanks to our wonderful husbands, it happened this weekend!  We went to Chicago by ourselves for an entire day (this is seriously so amazing considering the hours that our husbands typically are working, although we did plan it, oh, two months or so in advance) and I just can't even describe how phenomenal it was.  The whole day was sort of encapsulated by the fact that we spent two hours eating lunch/dinner at Grand Lux--talking a mile a minute while we toyed with the last of the chocolate fudge cake and watched the waiters reset the table next to us for the third time.  And hours and hours wandering around IKEA and Home Goods (plus assorted other stores).  Trying not to giggle during the hand massages at Lush and marveling at the view of Chicago from the top of the Hancock building.


I have had the occasional day here and there away with Neil, and I always look forward to them so much.  It's been a much longer time since I've had a day away with a friend, and it was such a good reminder to me of the value of my friendships with other women and how wonderful it is to have a friend that I connect with on so many levels!  Here's to hoping we get to recreate this day again...some day!


3 comments:

Jolena said...

I've got to say, this makes me have little flutters of anticipation in my stomach for the day I could do something like this. Hello, I have had a nursing baby for what seems like forever and it's not going to end anytime soon. There is a Love/hate relationship there for sure. We are so, so far away from the end of grad school, but it's still so tempting to talk and dream about it. Not living in an apartment? Owning a house? A yard? Oh the things we could do with that! Making enough money so I don't have to work unless I want to? Unthinkable. Yes, I'm right there with you on anticipating the next phase in life, no matter how far away it is. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! So glad you had a great time with your dear friend!!!!
Love,
Aunt Pam

Melanie said...

Amen to it all! I'm sure the wrinkles around my eyes in the elevator picture have more to do with my overall giddyness of the day than age.... What a wonderful day. Thank you again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails